PDA

View Full Version : Help flat worms on my hammer

luk81a
07/23/2012, 11:14 PM
I have had a hammer coral for over twelve months now and the past 6-8 months have noticed flat worms eating around the gummy tissue at the base of the polups. I have coral dipped it several times hoping to stop any tissue necrosis and also physically remove the worms. Still I get the flat worms...Any ideas on how to keep the hammer healthy? Its my second hammer I have owned and didnt have any success with the first one as I was only starting out as a beginner. Now been in the hobby for only 2 years.

reefer999
07/24/2012, 09:23 AM
What dip did you use? Usually if you have flatworms they aren't only in one coral so you will need to treat your whole tank.

luk81a
07/24/2012, 09:26 AM
So they are in my live rock? havent seen on any other coral. I used the brightwell coral dip. left it for the desired time but worms didnt fall off. I still had to manually remove them.

birdman1979
07/24/2012, 09:28 AM
FWE works well. Manually remove all you can first b/c dead flatworms are toxic. Have carbon and saltwater ready once treatment is complete.

Christoph
07/24/2012, 02:31 PM
I have flatworms in my small tank. They don't seem to annoy anything except my elegance. When I notice that happening I take it out and do a Lugol's dip. Those little suckers come right off. Also I have heard certain fish enjoy flatworms as a meal. Six line wrasses for instance. Kind of like Copperbands for aiptasia. Yummy. Lugol's will definitely work for you. Just be sure to give your hammer a gentle shake in the dip right before you put it back in your tank. Get as many of them off as possible.

chrisfont23
07/24/2012, 05:55 PM
I actually gave mine a FW dip a while ago. Bye bye flatworms and hello growth.

scrambler1880
07/24/2012, 07:33 PM
A pair of melanurus wrasses will wipe those flatworms out right quick :) they also like hermit crabs and other small fauna so don't be surprised if you lose a small part of your cleanup crew along with the flatworms.

kcsnook
07/25/2012, 10:50 AM
A pair of melanurus wrasses will wipe those flatworms out right quick :) they also like hermit crabs and other small fauna so don't be surprised if you lose a small part of your cleanup crew along with the flatworms.

++1

A hoevens wrasse will erradicate this issue, yes they will pick on the CUC but I feed rather heavy and my Hoevens stopped picking off the crabs. A very easy solution and you get a new cool colorful fish!