PDA

View Full Version : flat rock - filtration

Shallow Reef
07/25/2012, 05:23 PM
Hi,

Would using a flat plating type of LR covering nearly 3/4s of my sand bed be enough in terms of filtration for my tank? Its a shallow tank only 13" height so not a very deep.

I know most do well in minimal scapes anyway but are plating rocks on their own sufficient enough for filtration?

Lastly, would it cause any problems laying one side of the plating on the sand bed?

Thanks in advance. :)

MattyO
07/25/2012, 05:31 PM
A lot of shelf rock is actually pretty porous. I had a friend with a deep blue 80g rimless and he used prob 30 pieces of small and shelf rock... It looked really good and left him with open spaces and lost of places for corals. I think most people who go minimalist usually have rock in their sump/fuges to make up for the lack of rock in the DT.

Shallow Reef
07/25/2012, 06:56 PM
This is going to be just a single piece. You think it will be fine?

Will I be creating problems by laying the rock on the sand bed?

NaH2Ofreak
07/25/2012, 09:21 PM
The rock will be sufficient for filtration. I would NOT put it directly on top of the sand bed. Put it in then put sand around it or put the piece on some sort of risers to keep it off the bed as much as possible. JMO. Sounds like a cool plan.

Dennis

Russ750
07/25/2012, 10:09 PM
The rock will be sufficient for filtration. I would NOT put it directly on top of the sand bed. Put it in then put sand around it or put the piece on some sort of risers to keep it off the bed as much as possible. JMO. Sounds like a cool plan.

Dennis

+1
IMO, you'll want to keep the rock off the sand bed. Putting a few pieces of rubble under it to elevate it a bit would be best.

Shallow Reef
07/27/2012, 06:16 PM
Thanks, I think using rubble under neath it will be a better idea.

Sorry for the late reply, I was going to explain what my idea was but instead I thought I will start a thread on this so you can see my progress.

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2196277

Here it is ^^