PDA

View Full Version : Little white worms on glass???

Barrier Grief
07/27/2012, 09:15 AM
I've had a Dispar Anthias in QT since early May. Treated proactively with 2 back to back rounds of Prazi, then nearly 4 weeks of Cupramine. Just before I was going to put in DT, he developed a small white spot which bloomed into either a very bad bacterial or fungal infection. Treatment with Furan-2 and Pimafix seemed to resolve that issue about 3 weeks ago. I figured I'd observe for another few weeks to make sure he's good to go before sending to DT, which I planned to do this weekend.

Last night I find these extremely small white worms on the glass, by the thousands, if not tens of thousands. They are very small (won't even attempt a pic), and are definitely not pods - seen too many pods to make that mistake. Not knowing what they are, I put a dose of Prazi in the tank, which seemed to do absolutely nothing to affect them. They might be harmless to the fish, as so far he seems completely unaffected. But I sure would like to know if they are parasitic or not to figure out the right next step. Any ideas on what they might be and if they are harmful?

Digitalelectric
07/27/2012, 09:34 AM
Are they sedentary or actively moving?

Barrier Grief
07/27/2012, 09:40 AM
Many are just sitting there, others slithering around. Using a 5x magnifying glass to see movement.

Sugar Magnolia
07/27/2012, 09:43 AM
Could be flatworms?

Barrier Grief
07/27/2012, 09:55 AM
They look more round than flat, but these buggers are small, so not easy to tell; plus not sure if all flatworms are actually flat. I have some FWE I used on the red planaria flatworms before with much success. Does FWE selectively target certain FW, or all types? I think i remember that it doesn't work on AEFW, but never had those, so not really sure.

Digitalelectric
07/27/2012, 10:26 AM
Can you draw and upload a pic with MS paint? Doesnt have to be fancy.

Barrier Grief
07/27/2012, 10:53 AM
I had to step away from the house for an overnight trip, so I'm away from the computer, and really can't draw it up. If I were to do so, the best it would be is a bunch of very short (1/32 inch at most) white lines, most of them straight, a few a little curved.

I know that's pathetic, but as best I can describe.

birdman1979
08/13/2012, 12:56 PM
Does the head of the worm look darker? I see these occasionally in my DT and wondered what they were. 1-3 mm long, round with white body and darker at the head. I've tried to photograph but it's hard to capture.

cloak
08/13/2012, 02:21 PM
I had to step away from the house for an overnight trip, so I'm away from the computer, and really can't draw it up. If I were to do so, the best it would be is a bunch of very short (1/32 inch at most) white lines, most of them straight, a few a little curved.

I know that's pathetic, but as best I can describe.

Check these out.

http://www.lionfishlair.com/hitchhiker/hitchhiker.shtml

http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2006-04/reefslides/index.php

http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2006-08/reefslides/index.php