PDA

View Full Version : They keep melting!!!

CuttleKid
07/27/2012, 01:36 PM
I am new to keeping photosynthetic corals. I have always kept nps corals but have gotten tired of the maintenance. My tank is a 93 gallon cube with 3 lionfish a comet and an eel. My lfs recommended an led light so I bought it. I don't know the make/model off hand and can't find it because I'm at Disney on vacation. I have two scolies that are doing great under my light. I bought two toadstool corals and within days the had melted. I checked the parameters and everything was fine. I waited a week and then bought a colt coral and placed it near the bottom because I figured the toadstools had recieved too much light. It too melted within days. All my fish are fine as well as my scolies and tube anemones. What am I doing wrong? My water temp is 78 and salinity is normal. My nitrates are between 5-10 and my phosphates are at 2. There are Only two things I can think of. One is that I only temperature acclimate my corals. Two is that every once in a while the tank water shocks me. The weird thing is it only shocks me. I showed my parents and they were fine. It might be a cut on my finger reacting to the saltwater, but if it isn't wouldnt electricity in a tank affect more than just soft corals?
Also, my photo period is 8-10 with regular cheap FOWLR light, twelve to eight with the LEDs and blue Actinicts on 24/7
Any help will be greatly appreciated
Thanks

Allmost
07/27/2012, 01:38 PM
I see 2 Issues.

1. why are your lights on 24/7 ? the sun is not out all the time !

2. why are you posting while at disney on vacation ?!!! go have fun :)

CuttleKid
07/27/2012, 01:55 PM
Only my blue moon light are on 24/7

bunzaroo
07/28/2012, 04:10 PM
Are The phosphates at 2 or .02???? 2 would be an issue

CuttleKid
07/28/2012, 04:46 PM
They are the same color as the second color on the card

Postyoa28
08/06/2012, 11:52 AM
This happened to me. You have a small nick in one of your electrical cords or electric devices that are submerged (heaters/pumps/filters etc). You can confirm this by sticking your fingers into the tank just above your fingertips. Right at the cuticle, you should feel a pulsing shock. It feels almost like a pulsing itch on you fingertips. If this is the case, check all of your electrical components by unplugging a component then seeing if the shock goes away. In my tank it was a submerged heater with a nick in the cord. Your fish would appear fine, but any corals and the like will just "melt" as you put it. I lost a Colt coral and some mushrooms when transferring the contents of my 30 to a 55. Please note, the fish are not fine, they are being electrocuted 24 hours a day, but they can survive the shock.

Hope this helps.