PDA

View Full Version : Bubble Blaster 2000 to replace Atmen 2500 ?????

drukkosz
07/27/2012, 02:16 PM
Hello all,

I have SWC 160 skimmer and lately my atman 2500 is giving me hard time.

I was wondering if Bubble Blaster 2000 is a good replacement? will it fit without any modifications??

I also just upgrated my tank from 90g to 125g and want something more powerful. 960 L/H vs 650L/H Atman pump.

I was thinking about buying new skimmer but if that pump works it would save me 50%

BigKahuna
07/27/2012, 04:12 PM
What kind of troubles are you having with the atman? You could just get one of those modified impellers for the Atman which gives like 900lph. I just bought one for my 160 along with the extra large collection cup which holds 3x's as much. The two together are like getting a new skimmer IMHO. The impeller puts out more air and the cup I got is about an inch taller at the neck so you get a bit more reaction height. YMMV but my atman wasn't giving me any trouble, I just figured that after a couple years the impeller probably needed to be refreshed and the cup was just a nice add-on so I don't have to empty it as often.

I agree with many here the Atman is a cheap pump but that's also a huge advantage when you consider it could die every year for the cost of one BB 2000. Also it is decently efficient.

autodave
07/27/2012, 04:27 PM
BK- Do you have a link for the impeller you got? I have never had an issue with mine,but would like to know just in case.

BigKahuna
07/27/2012, 04:58 PM
I don't think you can post links here on RC but google shop.ReefFiltration. Funny thing, I saw the impeller on there a while ago but didn't recently when I went to order the extended collection cup so I contacted the site owner and he made one up for me. They only run like $15 so it's not a bad idea to keep a spare.

drukkosz
07/28/2012, 01:26 AM
Yes i did use mod impeller for awhile but didnt see any difference. so went back to stock. Actually when i installed mod impeller i started to have problems with the pump.
It doesnt start after powering it off. I know there is solution for it and lot of people are having that issue but i am in Europe now and person that watches my tank told me yesterday that was unable to start the skimmer. So now it will be off for more then a week, I only hope my tank will handle that.

So please lets go back to original question. I really want to buy new pump and need to know if BB 2000 will fit.

There has to be somebody who replaced that pump already.
thanks

drukkosz
07/28/2012, 12:05 PM
anybody??

BigKahuna
07/28/2012, 12:52 PM
The SWC 160, and most compact internally pumped skimmers for that matter, is practically built around the pump. The atman is pretty small so it is going to be tough finding a pump that fits and the BB2000 looks decidedly larger to my eye but maybe there is someone out there who's done it I don't know.

drukkosz
07/29/2012, 12:08 PM
The SWC 160, and most compact internally pumped skimmers for that matter, is practically built around the pump. The atman is pretty small so it is going to be tough finding a pump that fits and the BB2000 looks decidedly larger to my eye but maybe there is someone out there who's done it I don't know.

Thats what i am trying to find out. There has to be somebody who replaced the pump.