PDA

View Full Version : Ready to get a tank but not sure how to get started! Help please!

XxMandaMariexX
07/27/2012, 04:25 PM
I'm new to everything and do not know much about saltwater aquariums so I wanted to get some recommendations on what to start out with. The main fish I want in my aquarium are the clownfish I am supposed to be getting a 65 gallon tank! Just would like to know what other fish are good to put with clowns and what corals and all to also start out with! If anyone could please help that would be great!

SaltyWenStirred
07/27/2012, 04:30 PM
I went to Amazon.com and bought some books on reef aquariums for $3-$4 each used. I'm just getting started too. I feel for you. There are so many people with so many opinions and some of them differ so it makes it confusing for someone new. I've been reading the stickies written by experienced tank owners on this forum, and they seem to have some good information too.

chrisfont23
07/27/2012, 04:41 PM
I think the best thing anyone would tell you is to have patience and go slow. There are tons of posts and such on this forum to guide you as well as the folks that "have been there." To answer your questions, the easiest corals are leathers or mushrooms. Something like a Kenya tree or colt coral is a good beginner a is any mushroom. A riccordea will give you nice color and is an easy mushroom to keep. Both leathers and mushrooms don't require a ton of light, a lot of flow and can tolerate some dirty water. As for the fish, it seems most people go with clowns or damsels to start. I hate both choices since clowns are suaually boght in pairs and damsels are a pain in the end...in the end :) I would go with something peaceful like a Bangaii Cardinal or a Royal Gramma. They both have good personalities, don't grow too big and IME, accept most types of foods.

HTH

Chaotic Reefer4u
07/27/2012, 06:24 PM
[WELCOME] Manda Marie, nothing good happens fast so please be patient and take your time setting up your tank ok ? It will pay off in the long run. Also the lighting/filtration/hardware, get all these things going and cycle your tank after this you will be well on your way to stardom, hope this helps...

dzfish17
07/27/2012, 07:39 PM
Welcome to RC. The stickies are great but there are a couple of excellent books that will help also... The New Marine Aquarium by Michael S. Paletta and The Conscientious Marine Aquarists by Bob Fenner. Bury your head in these for awhile and you will be well on your way. Good luck.

Cbiscuit
07/27/2012, 09:22 PM
You should definately read about the fish before you get any. Do not just trust your local fish store. My first fish was a pseudochromis. My fish store said it was peaceful and easy to take care of. This fish was a terror and turned out to be one of the most aggressive fish. It was sooo hard to get out of my tank. I had to remove all my rock. Be sure you do not get any fish unless you are completely sure you are going to keep the fish! That was my first hard lesson!

jamesbaur13
07/27/2012, 09:24 PM
Clownfish are great to start off with. Personally i like ocellaris (or false percula) clowns, they are the "nemo" clownfish and are the least aggressive of them all. When clownfish get closer to maturity they will start to become more and more territorial... this is the least problematic of the bunch. If you plan on keeping an anemone with them i would get one tank raised, the other not tank raised. Reason being, clownfish at a very young age instinctively seek out anemones... this seems to diminish as they age. So if you want to see one playing around in an anemone, this is your best best. Also, be sure the anemone you choose is a natural host for you clown.

As far as other reef safe fish which get along with clownfish... pretty much they all do. I would double check with Steve "aka Snorvich" in the "please check out your intended fish purchases here" (or something to that effect) thread. He's great. Don't go there for suggestions, but once you have a list that you think works have him look it over for you.

As far as corals go... easiest to hardest is probably: polyp/mushroom/soft corals > LPS (large polyp stoney) > SPS (small polyp stoney) > NPS (non-photosynthetic). The difficulty of the coral your are trying to keep will determine how much you'll need to spend on equipment (NPS being the exception in regards to equipment, but is maintenance heavy).

Keep in mind, (as a general rule of thumb) "easiest" is often the fastest growing coral. If you are wanting to mix these types you need to isolate the fast growers (i recommend putting them on an "island" in the sand) from the slow growers so the fast growers don't overwhelm them.

I'd personally start it off as either a fish only with live rock tank or corals only. When you start mixing the 2 it starts to become more difficult.

I would set a goal first, accumulate a list of equipment that would meet/exceed that goal, then go from there. Plan your tank around your planned inhabitants.

That and always quarantine... read the stickies on this and figure out what you need to do to make sure you don't introduce a nightmare into your tank and thus make your tank a nightmare.

XxMandaMariexX
07/29/2012, 02:49 PM
Thanks for all the help I will try to get the books just to know a little more before I get into it. There is a man who has a store around where I live who knows a lot and loves the hobby who will set up everything and he also does maintence on the aquariums and water and all if you need it. Thanks for all the opinions they do help!

drwonga
07/29/2012, 05:29 PM
I have to second those books, they are great! Even after I have setup several reef tanks, I always refer back to these books for inspiration and ideas:

The Conscientious Marine Aquarist

I also really love this book:

Natural Reef Aquariums: Simplified Approaches to Creating Living Saltwater Microcosms by John Tullock

XxMandaMariexX
07/29/2012, 07:47 PM
What other books would anyone recommend? Also is a 60 ok to start with?

Tri0 #3
07/29/2012, 07:58 PM
you dont even have to buy. Go to your nearest library. They should have what you need. Also be careful about your LFS. THERE FIRST PRIORITY IS $$$$$. Be mindful. Some LFS are actually very helpful and are willing to go out of there way so you get it done right.

Next suggestion PATIENCE!!! enuff said!:headwallblue:

drwonga
07/29/2012, 08:32 PM
I'm in the same place you are right now Manda, designing my next reef tank. I can tell you, I had a particular vision before I started rereading my reef books. After I did, I had a whole new, revised idea, which is much clearer and more formulated. Before you decide what size tank you want (or need), first decide:

What other corals will go with clownfish?
What other fish will go with a clownfish?
And of those, what do YOU want to keep?

After you do that, and come up with a list of livestock that you find interesting, then you can really sit down and decide what size (and style) tank would best suite those critters' needs.