PDA

View Full Version : Ordered sodium bicarbonate rather than sodium carbonate

marc nichols
07/27/2012, 07:58 PM
I've been using 2 part recipe 1 for about 8 years and inadvertently ordered sodium bicarbonate (recipe 2). My PH runs 8.2-8.3, so there is the PH issue. Then I noticed that recipe 2 uses approximate half as much CA in the mix. What does this do to the dosing requirements? This is looking like a road I don't want to go down...and no, I'm unwilling to bake the bicarb...it's summer and hot enough.Ugh!

tmz
07/27/2012, 09:08 PM
Bicarbonate is HCO3; Carbonate is CO3. CO3 has room for two H protons to attach before it becomes H2O3, carbonic acid. So, carbonate neutralizes twice as much H=, thus affording twice the alk bicarbonate does.

If you like you can turn the sodium bicarbonate into sodium carbonate by baking it at 350 F for one hour.

bertoni
07/27/2012, 11:23 PM
The dosing requirement likely will go up if you use the sodium bicarbonate, possibly by a factor of two. Since the lower pH might reduce calcium and carbonate consumption, you'll have to do some measurements to see what happens.

Mytinysea
07/27/2012, 11:36 PM
Personally an hour of baking it sounds like it would be worth it.

tonyf
07/28/2012, 12:34 AM
Marc, I've recently switched to sodium carbonate from sodium bicarbonate ... prefer the slightly improved pH which is now more easily maintained in the range 8.25-8.4. Also helps overcome the effects of dosing vinegar.

Saving that I've found in carbonate vs bicarbonate is approximately 1/3 for a given solution.

tmz
07/28/2012, 12:34 AM
Many use arm and hammer baking soda( food grade sodium bicarbonate) and bake it or not depending on the the goal.

tmz
07/28/2012, 12:42 AM
Probably less than 1/2. Somewhere around 40% ofthe amount of bicarbonate in carbonate to account for removal of the roughly 20% water volume when you bake it. Randy's recipes account for these things
As Jonathan noted though, consumption in the tank may vary due to ph shifts and some fine tuning may be necessary. So, if you and your tank are used to carbonate routine , baking the bicarbonate might be easiest. .

loranlauglin
10/20/2012, 06:54 PM
Did you know that you can go to WalMart and buy Soda Ash (Sodium Carbonate) in the laundry detergent section. Just make sure its natural with no added chemicals.

rburns24
12/22/2012, 10:20 PM
When I mixed my sodium bicarbonate with RO water, I put the mixture in the microwave to heat the water up when it wasn't all dissolved. Have I inadvertently changed it to sodium carbonate?

Ron Reefman
12/23/2012, 06:34 AM
Did you know that you can go to WalMart and buy Soda Ash (Sodium Carbonate) in the laundry detergent section. Just make sure its natural with no added chemicals.

Or check out your local pool supply.

disc1
12/23/2012, 10:28 AM
When I mixed my sodium bicarbonate with RO water, I put the mixture in the microwave to heat the water up when it wasn't all dissolved. Have I inadvertently changed it to sodium carbonate?

No, it only works when it is dry.

rburns24
12/23/2012, 10:33 AM
Thanks much for the reply. That's a relief:)