PDA

View Full Version : Frogspawn irritated by Magnesium crystals

myfast
07/30/2012, 04:04 PM
Last night I dissolved a dose of Seachem Reef Advantage Magnesium crystals in a cup filled with R/O water and added it to my tank. Apparently several crystals didn't dissolve and when I was adding the solution to my tank, and the crystals fell on the frogspawn.

The frogspawn immediately closed and then the tentacles puffed up. I checked it about a half hour later and the tentacles appeared deflated.

This morning, some of the tentacles appeared to be more inflated, but the frogspawn definitely wasn't extending its tentacles. As the day has gone on, it seems like parts of the frogspawn are turning a brownish color and dissolving.

Can you please offer any advice? I have a polyfilter i could add. I also have some CoralRx, if you'd recommend dipping the frogspawn.

betamed
07/30/2012, 09:41 PM
salt crystals willl burn LPS if they are not disolved. I'd just let it heal on its own

ReeferBatman
07/31/2012, 10:43 AM
Yup, magnesium and calcium crystals or reef buffer will burn the flesh of the corals should they take it in. My GF dumped magnesium in like that and a green fuzzy mushroom caught the brunt of it, and decided to split in two down the middle because of the damage caused...

All my other corals have one caught a piece or two here and there, their tentacles shrivel for a 1-3 days and then they are fine.

Just mix it in water before, or dump it in a corner of the tank with no corals there (but with circulation).

milhous3er
08/01/2012, 05:05 PM
I always let my dissolve for a good hour or so and dump in a high flow section of the sump. Allow for plenty of time to dissolve.

myfast
08/01/2012, 05:11 PM
Thanks for the advice. I will definitely let it dissolve longer in the future. I'll also dump it in the sump or far from any corals.

I dipped the frogspawn in CoralRx on Monday evening and that seemed to help get rid of the dead and dying tissue. Since then, it has seemed to get progressively better. Some skeleton is exposed, but just this evening I looked and it seems like new tissue is starting to grow over the skeleton. Hopefully the frogspawn will make a full recovery.

Thanks again for the help!