PDA

View Full Version : Adding live rock

sw_df27
07/31/2012, 09:40 AM
Okay newbie question I have a 29gal with 7lbs of LR in it already it's been set up for over a month now and I have 2 clowns in it I found a really awesome deal on some LR but it will have to be shipped to me how hard would it be to add it to my tank or would it cause to much of a problem for me it's between 10-20lbs of rock I would be adding

bluewater921
07/31/2012, 09:47 AM
yes your tank will recycle .. unless you added like 1 lbs a week till you were out of rock .. not really a wise idea if you already have fish in there

EricSIny
07/31/2012, 09:51 AM
Just use an fresh batch of SW in a 5 gal bucket, let the rock sit for 24hrs with a powerhead in there. then, do a 100% water change and let sit for 48hrs. after that add all the rock to your DT.

sw_df27
07/31/2012, 09:51 AM
okay I have added approx 5lbs over a 3 week span while doing water changes at the same time you don't think maybe doing a 50% water change when I add the rock would be ok or am I just grasping at straws because it's a really good price

sw_df27
07/31/2012, 09:56 AM
thanks for the info I just really don't want to kill my fish over some rock but I started this tank on petcos help and now have gotten all screwed up and I don't have enough rock for what I want and what I need they told me it would be fine to just add LR whenever I wanted so that's what I have been doing and I think I caused a mini cycle once already but I have since did 20% water changes once a week and all levels are normal and all fish did fine I have since learned to not listen to petco

kuya_cesar
07/31/2012, 11:08 AM
Like Eric said. cycle the tank on a separate container. test the water parameters on that container. do it slowly and dont rush. the parameters is the key. Now if parameters is stable and did not move for a couple of days or weeks, then you can add this in your display tank.

kuya_cesar
07/31/2012, 11:45 AM
I meant, cycle the new rocks on a separate container.

thegrun
07/31/2012, 03:46 PM
Just use an fresh batch of SW in a 5 gal bucket, let the rock sit for 24hrs with a powerhead in there. then, do a 100% water change and let sit for 48hrs. after that add all the rock to your DT.

NO!NO!NO! If the live rock needs to cycle 3 days and a couple of water changes will NOT make the rock safe to put in your DT!!!! Put the new rock in a 5 gallon bucket, add either a raw dead shrimp of a 1/4 teaspoon of pure ammonia and wait for the cycle (expect a 4 week cycle) to complete. THEN you can safely add the rock to your tank, NOT before.

sw_df27
07/31/2012, 05:36 PM
so I guess it's a no go?!?!?!?! that's cool I guess but what's the diff in me buying the cured LR at the LFS and putting it directly in my tank and ordering cured live rock and having it shipped is it because the die off from shipping that makes it not okay? Obviously I'm not gonna risk it now that so many people say not too just trying to learn

EricSIny
07/31/2012, 07:58 PM
NO!NO!NO! If the live rock needs to cycle 3 days and a couple of water changes will NOT make the rock safe to put in your DT!!!! Put the new rock in a 5 gallon bucket, add either a raw dead shrimp of a 1/4 teaspoon of pure ammonia and wait for the cycle (expect a 4 week cycle) to complete. THEN you can safely add the rock to your tank, NOT before.

I have been able to cycle 15lbs of live rock in 3 days no problem. I Checked ammonia and nitrites everyday.I added 15 lbs LR to an established 60g system sump with not one problem..but what do I know..

CAPSLOK
07/31/2012, 08:42 PM
If it is cured live rock and shipped relatively quickly, a couple of days MAY be fine. Conversely, if it is not cured or has been shipping for a few days, you shouldn't need to add a shrimp or anything because the die-off will fuel the cycle. Either way, test the water before adding to the display tank - and don't add it if there is any ammonia / nitrite. If it smells foul, it is too early (die off). If the water quality is staying good after a few days of the rock in there, it should be fine to add.

Also, adding it to such a small tank means that you want to be quite sure that it is cycled, there is not much room for any die-off in a populated 29g.

sw_df27
08/01/2012, 07:18 AM
thanks I think I'm just gonna keep doing what I'm doing and slowly add cured live rock from my LFS I haven't had a problem doing this so far thanks for the help

spieszak
08/01/2012, 07:31 AM

I'm confused. You are advising that the OP shouldn't add the rock for fear the die off would cause a cycle, but still advising they add a raw shrimp or ammonia.. if there is no die off to cause the ammonia spike, then the rock would be safe to add to the tank..if there is, there would be no reason to add an ammonia source... why "force" a cycle on the rock?