PDA

View Full Version : Question on duncan

Das awesome
07/31/2012, 01:54 PM
How come my duncan doesn't grow new branches? It just keeps growing new heads so it looks like a giant bush. Do I just need to feed them more or will they just start branching out eventually.

daddy2kids
07/31/2012, 07:17 PM
Mine just keeps growing new heads, too. Looks OK so far, but it could become bush-like eventually. I will tag along and see what others say.

ssavader
07/31/2012, 08:49 PM
I don't know if they are genetically different but there appears to be two forms- one is the branching form and the other is the tighter ball form. It sounds like you have the later, but if new heads are growing, then it is obviously doing well!

Das awesome
08/01/2012, 01:06 AM
I don't know if they are genetically different but there appears to be two forms- one is the branching form and the other is the tighter ball form. It sounds like you have the later, but if new heads are growing, then it is obviously doing well!

I had a large one before that I bought with 4 heads, each head was its own separate branch, but when it grew new heads, it never branched out. Just kept getting more bush like like the one I currently have

TealCobra
08/01/2012, 07:35 AM
They do grow new branches to a degree. I started out with a 2-3 head piece and now have a 50ish head colony (see my avatar). The branches are far from the "branching" variety that you see out there for sale. Almost more like a tabling Acropora if viewing from underneath. I wonder if the branching variety may be more affected by it's environment (higher flow).

greech
08/01/2012, 09:09 AM
I have nothing to confirm this other than what I have been told but the branching specimans you see for sale are not likely to continue that growth pattern in captivity.

TULSATYE
08/01/2012, 01:00 PM
IME duncans will just split heads for the first year or so then will start growing branches! My friend wanted me to frag him some and couldn't due to splitting but a few months ago I looked and it had grown a few new branches! I started with 2 heads then it just split until it was around 15 or so heads. Now I have around 5 new branches with about 30 heads!

LAKEM0NSTER
08/01/2012, 07:48 PM
I have nothing to confirm this other than what I have been told but the branching specimans you see for sale are not likely to continue that growth pattern in captivity.

I agree with greech. The only time I have seen the long branchy duncans were in photos taken on a reef or in tidal pools. It's probably due to the awesome environment the ocean creates.

chrisfont23
08/01/2012, 08:11 PM
I have both: branched on the right / bunched on the left. IMO, both grow at the same rate

http://i1223.photobucket.com/albums/dd506/chrisfont23/90%20Gallon%20Reef/IMG_2207.jpg