PDA

View Full Version : 120g Tank build question

creep
07/31/2012, 04:09 PM
Well it looks like I'm going to begin having a decent amount of disposable income shortly so I wanted to get back into the saltwater world. I used to have a 40g breeder tank that I ran for a few years, but suffered all kinds of problems when I listened to the advice of my LFS. Luckily they are out of business and I have learned a ton from this site over the years. Here is what I am thinking for my tank, please critique and suggest changes. I probably won't get started building this tank until September/October, so I have time to make changes and figure out exactly what I want.

This will eventually be a mixed reef tank, but I want to keep plenty of fish too.

120 gallon tank (4x2x2)
60 gal tank set up as a sump in the stand
100lbs of dry live rock from bulk reef supply
45lbs of live fiji rock
120lbs of sand
Jager 300 Thermometer (Do I need two or just 1?)
Tex 6X54w T5HO light fixture with ATI bulbs (Not sure which color bulbs yet. Suggestions?)
Koralia 1400gph powerheads (I was thinking 4 of these, is that too much?)
Reef Octopus XS200 Skimmer
Eheim 1262 pump for return
Tunze Auto Top off system

I am still debating on if I want to get the Apex Lite controller as well as the breakout box to run the conductivity/salinity probe.
I was also debating on using the Koralia wavemaker with the Hydor Koralia 4 powerheads instead of the regular powerheads.

I will be purchasing my own RO/DI unit and making my own saltwater with Instant Ocean salt.

My plan is to have the 60g sump as well as a 10g tank for fresh water for the top off system. Will that fit in the stand?

The fish that I would love to have would be:
1 Firefish
2 clownfish
1 Yellow Tang or 1 Blue hippo tang (I don't think the tank is big enough for both, right?)
1 Catalina Goby
1 Yellow Watchman Goby
3 or 4 blue/green chromis
1 Bartletts anthias
1 Royal Gramma Basslet
1 Flame Angel

I'm afraid that might be too many fish though.

Any thoughts or suggestions you have would be great.

96slowbra
07/31/2012, 04:22 PM
10 gallons for top off might only last you 2 or 3 days. whether or not it fits in your stand depends on the size of the stand. i would assume no, i have a custom sump made that is around the same dimensions as 60 gallon tanks and it fills my entire stand. i plan on running a 55 or 65 gallon drum for ro/di and top off. i am in the middle of a 120 rimless build. good choice on tank size, my favorite layout

creep
07/31/2012, 04:39 PM
Thanks! I figured I would have to refill the top off tank frequently, but I liked the idea of it being hidden. I don't really have room to put a bucket or another tank near it to hold the top off water. I can store a ton of water in my garage, but it's not anywhere near the tank so I wouldn't be able to plumb it together.

creep
07/31/2012, 06:51 PM
I realized I put a 60gal sump instead of 40 like I meant. This is the design I am thinking of going with. That skimmer isn't the right model, but it gives a good idea. The middle section is the return which is split off to feed the refugium on the right side. The overflow will feed the skimmer section on the left.

http://i.imgur.com/TfLMq.jpg

steve053
07/31/2012, 08:51 PM
T the drain from the DT with a gate valve and send 75% to your skimmer and 25% to your fuge. Would also suggest a power head in the fuge.

Can't say enough good things about melvsreef (http://www.melevsreef.com/what_sump.html). Lots of great sump and refugium information.

creep
07/31/2012, 09:32 PM
For the power head in the fuge, i'm assuming it would just be a small one to keep a bit of flow in there right? What is the benefit of feeding the fuge from the Display tank instead of from the return pump? Wouldn't that just allow for more waste to collect in the fuge? Or is that waste what is going to allow the fuge to thrive?