PDA

View Full Version : Randy, Bertoni, and others...

Ralph ATL
07/31/2012, 09:07 PM
Mostly SPS......my goal is alway to achieve a level of phates below 0.03 & trates at 0.5 or below, but there have been periods of time over the years that I have not noticed on occasion that one or the other value of nutrients to "creap up" over time......Of course, as soon I have corrected these values over the course of a few weeks or months, generally speaking, all SPS start sprouting again...usually these parems creap up because I'm dealing with some other crazy alien Algae, i.e., Bryopsis, Udotea algae, or some crazy "let's kill his tank" stuff.....which "blinds my vision" as these algaes are not caused by high nutrients...generally speaking

However, I have noticed lately, in giving advice in another forum, most hobbyists don't have a Hach, DD Merck, Elos, or Colormeter in testing phates...(I use DD Merck and sold my Merck when it was exactly the same every time).....

So, since all your published material, has your advice changed at all at the levels of nitrates & phosphates in a sps reef aquaria? Or, as I have assumed & have given consistent advice on, those levels need to be maintained spot on today as yeaterday! Generally speaking, what is the MAX phosphates & MAX trates that you can have SPS calcifying over a long term without turning brown nor tips turning to algae?

I have aways stated 0.03 and 0.05...and have usually maintained that. When above these values, I have always had problems, HOWEVER, some say that SPS can be maintained at higher than those recommended levels over a period of time....

WHAT SAY YOU?

Thanks as usual!

bertoni
07/31/2012, 10:47 PM
There are thousands of species of stony corals. There's also the issue of knowing which reported measurements are accurate. It'd take a lot of experimentation to determine what might happen at higher nitrate and phosphate levels. Personally, I'd just keep the nutrients low, since that's been easy for me. Others might want to experiment.

djkms
08/01/2012, 09:51 AM
For me, typically speaking of Acropora Sp., Growth seems to inhibit >.03. My sensitive Acropora start to lose color at >.05 (typically browning). Can't say I have noticed any effect with nitrates, I do like to keep them readable however at <1ppm.

Buzz1329
08/01/2012, 05:31 PM
BTW, where is Randy anyway? Don't tell me he's allowed to take a vacation. How dare he put all our tanks at risk by getting some suds, sand and surf?

Ralph ATL
08/01/2012, 05:45 PM
For me, typically speaking of Acropora Sp., Growth seems to inhibit >.03. My sensitive Acropora start to lose color at >.05 (typically browning). Can't say I have noticed any effect with nitrates, I do like to keep them readable however at <1ppm.

Exactly, except with trates higher than one, colors of all corals "punch more", but I'll see a strand or two of nuisance algae...