PDA

View Full Version : Question about my tank

solevaede
08/01/2012, 12:26 AM
I've had my tank for about 7 months, its a 14 gallon biocube. In the tank i have a yellow tank, percula clownfish, oceanis clownfish(yes i know that two clownfish are not supposed to be in same tank), a cardinal and a blue devil damsel.
there are a bunch of slug things that eat algae (dont know what they are, came out of liverocks) and other small critter things here and there.
I've never changed the water except to replace the water that was evaporated.
i have crushed coral bed,, there are barnicles growing in places too.

how bad is this tank cause i know its not that good?

all my parameters (nitrites nitrates amonia ect) is where it should be

hollister
08/01/2012, 12:33 AM
A 14 gallon has a max of 2 fish and smaller fish. When you replace the evaporated water do you add salt? As when the water evaporates the salt doesnt. So all you need to do is top off with plain water RO water perffered.
Dont mean to be rude but this can be a difficult hobby and besides this site for advice a good reef beginner book would really help.

Below Radar
08/01/2012, 12:43 AM
If you meant yellow "tang" then that is a no-no. Min for a yellow tang is 100g...you're just a little under that, lol. Here's a chart for tangs
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1946007
You must have a good filtration system. I've never had a nano but I would say the "norm" for water changes is bi-weekly. Read all of the threads in the "New To The Hobby" forum. Lots of great info. Also, what Hollister said, read read read and read. Happy reefing!

solevaede
08/01/2012, 02:00 AM
no i dont add salt when replacing the water, hah yeah thought so i got the tank a gift cause my parents are to cheap to get anything bigger lol, thnks for the input.
really wish i could get bigger tank!

sponger0
08/01/2012, 06:25 AM
Oh boy....lol

first, you can have 2 clowns in the same tank. That shouldnt be a problem

Remove the tang

Remove the damsel. Believe it or not, you should have alot more room for a damsel due to their aggressiveness.

Water changes should be done frequently on nano sized tanks, not just topping off. This helps keep the water clean

You are really pushing the bioload past its limits for a BC14. You shouldnt have more than 2 fish in there, IMO.

Curshed coral can cause nitrate problems as debri can get trapped in there.

bluewater921
08/01/2012, 06:37 AM
wow poor yellow tang .. he prob does not have any room to even turn around with out smelling the pooo he left behind .. sad sad sad ..

sw_df27
08/01/2012, 07:43 AM
don't mean to hijack but I actually use crushed coral and I have noticed it does collect stuff but I use a vaccumm on mine everytime I do a water change every 2 weeks and it seems to get everything out but should I have used something else other then crushed coral?

sponger0
08/01/2012, 07:50 AM
Crushed coral is looked down upon in SW tanks. Its more recommended to use sand or go bare bottom.