PDA

View Full Version : Cuc

kidkaos520
08/02/2012, 12:13 PM
I set up a 15g tank and I plan on putting a garden of zoas and softies anyway my sand is looking like crap and wanted to get some crabs to clean it up but I heard that since crabs are oportunistic feeders they may eat the zoas....so I was wondering what else would be good to get it crabs are not the way to go.

Aqua firemedic
08/02/2012, 05:53 PM
Cerith snails will work pretty good at keeping your sand stirred up.

kidkaos520
08/02/2012, 07:17 PM
yea I was thinking that...on a compulsive buy I ended up with a small sand sifting goby and some nassarius snails and a turbo for now until my zoas come in next week

A. Grandis
08/03/2012, 06:07 PM
Sea cucumbers.

Grandis.

kidkaos520
08/03/2012, 06:40 PM
which kind

A. Grandis
08/03/2012, 11:05 PM
I don't know what type they sell normally and I don't know the names they use around the mainland, but most of the sea cucumbers sold for aquariums ***should*** be sand shifters.
Some of the Holothuria spp. are very good. You'll need to make sure the species you're getting actually ingest the sand. Make sure you have a system safe for them. If they get in the pump or filter they can die and your tank will be a mess!! But it's very easy to make the tank safe. Just make sure they won't have access to the pump inlets and overflow. They are better than fishes to clean the sand, depending on the sand area you've got.

Hope others could get here to give you the names and share their experiences with the cucumbers...
Good luck!

Grandis.

Pool_shark
08/07/2012, 12:16 PM
I inherited a cucumber when I bought my used tank, and he has not set "foot" on the sand at all. He seeks out the highest point of my reef and plants himself there filtering water and licking his "tenticles." Never moves from that high spot. Just my experience, yours may vary.