PDA

View Full Version : Kriseal Tank

Psionicdragon
08/02/2012, 01:31 PM
Are these tanks good for Kuda Seahorses? I think they are 11 inches tall.

Zach Vs Ponies
08/02/2012, 01:55 PM
Are these tanks good for Kuda Seahorses? I think they are 11 inches tall.

Like, for their fry, or the actual seahorse?

namxas
08/02/2012, 01:59 PM
Back in the day, Kriesel setups were used to raise pelagic SH fry (H. kuda have pelagic fry). However, these days, it's not hard to set up a tank's flow pattern to keep the fry off the surface of the water, and to keep the fry suspended with their food since they don't hitch from birth.

As for the adult SH, it's not necessary.

Psionicdragon
08/02/2012, 02:10 PM
Like, for their fry, or the actual seahorse?

For actual seahorses. I have been reading up on how they like slower flows and such. I thought a DIY kriesel would work since it gives a slow full that fills the tank.

Zach Vs Ponies
08/02/2012, 02:39 PM
As namxas stated, it's probably not necessary. You can definitely create a nice environment for them in a normal aquarium.

rayjay
08/02/2012, 02:49 PM
It is a fallacy that seahorses need low flow. In fact, you can have areas of low, medium and high flow as long as you have hitching in each area so they can choose where they wish to be at any time. Some of mine like to play in the power head flow.
As long as it isn't going to blast them against something or cause them damage in any way, it should be good.
It would have to be an awful large kreisel to put adults in as the recommended tank size for most available in the hobby would be 29g for ONE pair and each ADDITIONAL pair needing an extra 15g.
For some more information on starting into the seahorse hobby, see the links at the bottom of "My Thoughts on Seahorse Keeping (http://www.angelfire.com/ab/rayjay/seahorsekeeping.html)"

Psionicdragon
08/02/2012, 03:49 PM
how about tank height? I didn't see it from the link you posted to your page unless I missed it.

WallysWorld
08/02/2012, 04:20 PM
It is a fallacy that seahorses need low flow. In fact, you can have areas of low, medium and high flow as long as you have hitching in each area so they can choose where they wish to be at any time. Some of mine like to play in the power head flow.
As long as it isn't going to blast them against something or cause them damage in any way, it should be good.
It would have to be an awful large kreisel to put adults in as the recommended tank size for most available in the hobby would be 29g for ONE pair and each ADDITIONAL pair needing an extra 15g.
For some more information on starting into the seahorse hobby, see the links at the bottom of "My Thoughts on Seahorse Keeping (http://www.angelfire.com/ab/rayjay/seahorsekeeping.html)"

+1 healthy seahorse are fine with areas of good flow, just make sure they have plenty to hitch on to.

rayjay
08/02/2012, 11:05 PM
how about tank height? I didn't see it from the link you posted to your page unless I missed it.
For me it hasn't been a problem just using standard sized tanks but I wouldn't use something like a 40g breeder which has low height.
Generally I think a lot of people want at least 3 times the length of the full grown seahorse for tank height but I know there are tanks out there with less than optimum height and the seahorses still find a way to reproduce.