PDA

View Full Version : Which Reactor should I get

adamfajge
08/02/2012, 09:34 PM
I was going to get the cheap TLF (Phosban 150). Marine Deport said to spend a little more and get the NextReef MR1 media reactor. Is this one made better? Can I have carbon and ferric oxide mixed in one reactor?

ReachTheSky
08/02/2012, 11:49 PM
I can't speak for the NextReef reactor because I've never used one. Looks like it's got raving reviews and the build quality does look really good. Having a pump included is another plus. I can however speak for the TLF Phosban reactors since I use two in my reef with inexpensive Mini-Jet pumps. They are small, simple, well built, get their jobs done and have given no problems in over a year now. If I had the option again, I would choose the TLF reactors. I don't personally see a reason to get a reactor that's 2x the price when these work reliably.

The reactors are capable of supporting a carbon and GFO mix - I've done this on my friends 20 gallon tank and it worked well. Depending on the size of your tank, getting two might be a better option.

Rogger Castells
08/03/2012, 12:02 AM
I have used both, I think that the Nextreef is the better choice, they are very well made, when I got my first reactor I was blown away with the little details from unpacking it, the reactor came with a tiny teflon tape to wrap around the barb connectors thread, the construction feels solid, I was confident enough to install it outside my sump, I did not felt like that with the TLF.
I also felt that the chamber was easier to refill, I think the Nextreef may be a little wider but I am not sure of this. JMO

Palting
08/03/2012, 06:56 AM
I have the NextReef MRI. Built well, solid, works well, too. The all in one package with it's own pump is another plus. I like it.

You can use carbon and GFO together, but it is not a good idea. You want the flow set so that the GFO tumbles, but any tumbling carbon will pulverize the carbon and you will be dispensing carbon fines into your tank. If you must put the two togther, put the carbon on the bottom and cover it with a sponge to help keep it tamped down, then put the GFO on top so it can tumble a little.

pgaudreau
08/03/2012, 06:58 AM
next reef mr1 defiitely is the better choice

Spyderturbo007
08/03/2012, 06:59 AM
I don't know how much of a hurry you're in, but I just now ordered the BRS Deluxe reactor and the MJ1200 pump. I can update this thread when I get it installed next week.

I'll be running GFO and carbon at the same time because I don't have the option to purchase the 2 section reactor due to space constraints in my cabinet.

Chris27
08/03/2012, 07:37 AM
Don't waste the money on the MR1 if you don't have to, the TLF gets the job done just the same and it's got a much better o-ring design that keeps it from shrinking or stretching.

sponger0
08/03/2012, 09:23 AM
I have a BRS reactor and like it better than the TLF. Not much price difference either. But I like it better as its easier to clean the media out.

Cleaner Shrimp
08/03/2012, 12:32 PM
I've used the BRS, TLF 550, and NextReef SMR1 reactors. The BRS reactors are built like a tank and would be good for carbon only IMO (not enough flow for GFO or bio-pellets).

TLF 550 was not built as strong (the hose connections can easily come off at the worst time), and had flow issues with my MJ-1200. However, the TLF was decent for carbon (but not for GFO or bio-pellets IME).

The NextReef SMR1 provides great flow for biopellets, and I assume for GFO as well. It's also built strong so I don't have to worry about leaks or hoses coming loose. I'm sure the NextReef MR reactors would be more than adequate for carbon or GFO.

sponger0
08/03/2012, 12:36 PM
I've used the BRS, TLF 550, and NextReef SMR1 reactors. The BRS reactors are built like a tank and would be good for carbon only IMO (not enough flow for GFO or bio-pellets).

TLF 550 was not built as strong (the hose connections can easily come off at the worst time), and had flow issues with my MJ-1200. However, the TLF was decent for carbon (but not for GFO or bio-pellets IME).

The NextReef SMR1 provides great flow for biopellets, and I assume for GFO as well. It's also built strong so I don't have to worry about leaks or hoses coming loose. I'm sure the NextReef MR reactors would be more than adequate for carbon or GFO.

The BRS reactor worked just fine for me with phos media and helped in my battle of hair algae. So I disagree with you.

adamfajge
08/03/2012, 07:21 PM
Can I add PuraComplete which has both GFO and Carbon in the Phosban 150? OR do I need to buy 2 separate products and just mix them both. I really only want to have 1 reactor.

sponger0
08/03/2012, 07:33 PM
GFO and Carbon should be used in seperate reactors as they function better at different flow rates

Reefahholic
08/03/2012, 08:38 PM
I run 2 independent BRS reactors.

They are solid and priced right.

Run the MJ1200 with them. Cheap pump and has worked well for me.

divewsharks
08/04/2012, 01:58 PM

If there isn't enough flow, its a pump or setup issue. The reactor works great for carbon and GFO. On top of that changing media takes less than 5 min, faster if you extra cartridges.