PDA

View Full Version : Moved To New Tank Today. In The Clear?

Mister_Palmer
08/04/2012, 12:17 AM
Today I successfully moved from my 60G with all HOB equipment to a 90G with a 25G sump.

I had the fish and coral in two 18G rubbermaids with heaters, LR, Power Heads for about 5-6 hours.

I added about 55 gallons of my old tank and 35 fresh to the tank, put the rock back in, as well as 30 LBs of cured LR from a store to the display and sump.
I kind of shook my old LR out, getting debris and stuff off of it

Then I turned everything on and let it rip for about 90 minutes, and added the fish and coral back in.
The salinity was the same, as well as the temperature.

I was worried something would go wrong, but they've been in the tank now for about 6 hours without issue that I know of.

Do I now just need to make sure there's not an ammonia spike, and a new cycle?
Basically, if I did this, what's the chance that a new cycle occurs?
If it somehow does cause a cycle, is there any real option then? I added some "Start right" or "Instant Cycle" as well, I figured it wouldn't hurt anything, and I guess could help.

Thanks

CoralReeferGal
08/04/2012, 12:25 AM
Following along. In the process of working a 55 to 120 upgrade, and I'm curious too! :) You did just about what we planned on doing, so I'm curious to see how it all works out and what to expect!

Mister_Palmer
08/04/2012, 12:33 AM
Oh yeah, I will also say I added 100% new sand.
20 lbs "Live Sand" and 30 Lbs arogonite.

Well, from what I can tell, the only possible effect is that the disturbance creates a new cycle.
However, if you're just moving 50lbs of LR from one tank to the other, never leaving water, staying the right temp, I assume it's like it never happened. Same with the fish.
The only thing I guess is the 35G of "New Water".

But really that's like doing a 40% water change on a 90G tank, which doesn't seem that crazy.

I'll be testing daily to see what happens. I was pretty concerned today for some reason that once I added them in there was going to be insta-death. I don't know why I thought that, I guess pessimism, but they went right in and started staking out new caves right away.

CoralReeferGal
08/04/2012, 12:42 AM
Thats awesome! I was worried with doing a 55%ish water change, since we'd have about 50 gallons of water out of the tank and then 70 gallons for new. We considered saving some water from water changes prior to the upgrade to have at least 80 gallons of "old" water, if not more than that. We actually planned on using our old sand, and just add more to fill it in, but didn't even think about the catastrophe that can be caused by stirring up the sand bed. Especially since ours is 10 years established. We'll probably rinse our sand really good, to still keep it live, but try to get that junk out of it. Still not positive on that one yet.

Mister_Palmer
08/04/2012, 12:46 AM
My sand was blah. It was just the really fine beach type sand, and this time I wanted to go with the bigger grain type.
I kept a handful or so to "seed it", but I don't really know what that's going to do.

Plus I'd gone from like 60lbs originally to maybe 35lbs throughout 2 years from siphoning bits and pieces up here and there. It just disappears

BigOldReef
08/04/2012, 02:12 AM
Your filtration is the bacteria which grows on the surface of things;sand, plumbing, rock. That's the core of your biological filtration.

With that core functioning, when you move to the new tank your not adding an ammonia source that the tank is prepared to handle --- Typical new tank condition.

So with matching water parameters you should have no issue with your swap.

Now the mixing of the live sand and new sand, now you have a whole bunch of uncolonized sand which the bacteria needs to colonize. So you may see a small spike from that.

But the rest of your rock should pick up the slack and maintain everything.

Dave

Mister_Palmer
08/06/2012, 06:34 PM
Bump.
It's been about 3.5 days, and all my water parameters seem good
0 Ammonia, 0 Nitrite, 15 Nitrate, Calcium/PH/Alk are all fine.

I did have 1 death, a Mystery Wrasse. He was fine the first day or so, then kind of went into hiding and was breathing heavy. Today I found him on the bottom...
Not sure what happened maybe stress and the overall move?

But I'm assuming that based on my water test that things should be good to go?
No new cycle?

NanoReefWanabe
08/06/2012, 08:23 PM
is the instant cycle, an ammonia source or bacterial source?

Mister_Palmer
08/06/2012, 09:44 PM
It claims that it's "good bacteria"

But I used cured LR and my old rock, half old water and whatnot.

freeswimmingfis
08/07/2012, 08:04 AM
I did a 90g to 156g earlier this year. I did it in a very similar mannor as you but I used most of my old sand and added 80 lbs on top of it.
I never saw a cycle. I did have 1 firefish die, but it was several months later.
Here is a link to my upgrade thread:
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2170013