PDA

View Full Version : Calcium help

TheAquatard
08/04/2012, 06:22 PM
Hey guys, I have high calcium. According to API test kit, its 580ppm. newly mixed reef crystals is around 500ppm again with the API test kit. RODI water = 0ppm. I'm not sure why its so high in the tank, I don;t dose anything and only have a few corals. Alk is at 10dhk, ph 8.3. Waters has a slight cloudness to it. two questions:

What salt mix has the lowest calcium so I can bring the level down and not have a milky looking tank and what is causing readings so high?

This has been an ongoing problem. I'm running a UV, skimmer and gfo so I'm pretty sure this isn't biological related. Thank you

jon99
08/04/2012, 06:57 PM
Hey guys, I have high calcium. According to API test kit, its 580ppm. newly mixed reef crystals is around 500ppm again with the API test kit. RODI water = 0ppm. I'm not sure why its so high in the tank, I don;t dose anything and only have a few corals. Alk is at 10dhk, ph 8.3. Waters has a slight cloudness to it. two questions:

What salt mix has the lowest calcium so I can bring the level down and not have a milky looking tank and what is causing readings so high?

This has been an ongoing problem. I'm running a UV, skimmer and gfo so I'm pretty sure this isn't biological related. Thank you

What is your salinity/specific gravity and what are you measuring it with? It's possible your mixing to much salt with the water. This will also give you elevated levels of... well everything, including calcium and alk.

If that's not the problem... did your salt come in bags or in a bucket? Salt in buckets has a tendency to seperate out. You need to physically mix the dry salt before mixing with water. Pour it into several clean buckets stir well, add, stir, add, stir some more etc, until its well blended. Mix a gallon and test again.

Still testing high, then double check the readings. Take a sample to your LFS and have them check it. Better yet buy a better quality test kit (salifert and Red Sea both make good kits) and test yourself. API are not the most accurate.

If you confirm high levels with anotherkit after confirming SG and mixing the dry salt you may have a bad batch of salt. I used RC in the past and I do not remember calcium levels that high. Low to mid 400's was more like it. Instant Ocean has lower calcium and alk levels than RC, but I can't say for sure it's the lowest.

bertoni
08/04/2012, 07:54 PM
IO should be one of the lower-calcium salt products. I agree with double-checking your parameters before spending a lot of money, though.

TheAquatard
08/04/2012, 08:08 PM
SP is 1.026, I've had it confirmed with a hydrometer. I forgot to mention most of the water in my system was made with red sea pro, which did come in a bucket. The Reef crystals came in a bag. I'll be sure to shake it up better next time. I do agree that aPI is probably the worst brand to be using for such an important test, I'll spend the money next time on a better test kit. Is 580ppm enough to cause percipitation?

I don't get why my tank would be so much more elevated than the nsw i put into it. I don't dose anything, I swear!

bertoni
08/04/2012, 08:14 PM
580 ppm should be okay, and the tank probably won't see any precipitation events. I might check inside pumps now and then for signs of buildup, but I wouldn't worry, personally.

TheAquatard
08/06/2012, 03:27 PM
My anemone is starting to get aggrivated, some of my zoas aren't open. As of now,
Dkh: 11
Ca+ : 500ppm
ph: 7.9 ish

Will do another 3 gallon water change on my 35 gallon system.

bertoni
08/06/2012, 11:57 PM
Hmm, I'm not sure what the problem is. The calcium level should be okay, if the kit is accurate. People have reported tanks with far higher levels that have been okay. That said, I might do a few 3g water changes.

TheAquatard
08/07/2012, 08:57 AM
sounds good, ph is now at 8.1, I think that last test was not accurate. I'll keep changing out 3 gallons every 2 days for a week or so. I still have a hazy when looking down the side of my tank. I've been fighting this problem since day 1. It comes and goes.

bluewater921
08/07/2012, 09:07 AM
what kind of sand are you using ??? i run my cal kind of high but its balanced i get no haze from it .. maybe one of your pumps it stirring the sand up and you dont know it