PDA

View Full Version : what do you think

JMFC
08/06/2012, 07:13 AM
Well when transferring my live stock a coulpe of weeks ago I managed to kill everything. But my pistol shrimp and 2 blue legged hermits. Quite a loss. The tank had been up for 4 months then i got sick of all of the clutter and built an internal over into a sump and beefed up all of my equipment. Something happened and death ensued. I have to the conclusion that the caulk i was hadnt cured enough. All the parameters are soild and were soild.
So what is best route now? I have mad amounts of algae growing on my once live rock. I have recycled. The blanket of daitoms is tailing off. Should just sit a few more weeks or throw something in there to see if it is hospitable. And yes i have done several massive water changes. In the sump there is a fuge with mangroves and a bunch over pods and such.
Thoughts

JMFC

JMFC
08/06/2012, 08:04 AM
Geez. I apologize for the poor grammar. Not working out to well on the "smart" phone.

thegrun
08/06/2012, 08:29 AM
My first question is what caulking did you use? The vast majority of silicones/caulking contains anti-bacteria agents that will kill off your bacteria and never allow you to keep a successful salt water tank. If you used a non-aquarium type sealant you will need to remove it all and use a safe silicone (like GE silicone 2 door and window). If you did use aquarium safe silicone, I would go 3 days without lights to reduce the algae. What are your nitrate and phosphate levels? I assume they are still high; you need to reduce them with water changes and perhaps run a GFO reactor.

JMFC
08/06/2012, 10:38 AM
I am running gfo. Ammonia is 0. Nitrites are 0. Nitrates are 5ppm. Phosphates are .25. I did use the silicone that you suggested but, I didnt let it cure for an adequate amount of time. I have done 3 20 gallon water changes in the past 2 weeks. I dont mind the algea but i would like to put a snail in there to contend with the growth. Like I said the pistol shrimp is alive so the quality of the water cant be that bad.

bluewater921
08/06/2012, 10:45 AM
is it 100% food grade silicone ?? thats is what you have to use on aquariums .. everything else you might as well throw in the trash .. im so sorry to read about your tank and losing everything .. is you dont use the right silicone you will have really bad algae break outs .. from hair to red slime ..

JMFC
08/06/2012, 11:46 AM
I used the correct silicone. I want to know what someone else would do if they were 3 weeks deep in this scenario. How long to let it run without adding anything. Or if i should add something now, such as a snail.

wonderz
08/06/2012, 12:29 PM
I used the correct silicone. I want to know what someone else would do if they were 3 weeks deep in this scenario. How long to let it run without adding anything. Or if i should add something now, such as a snail.
If your pistol shrimp is still alive after 3 weeks, its probably safe for snails. If I were you, I would go buy some snails to keep the algae down and manually remove as much you can.

JMFC
08/06/2012, 07:05 PM
After much research I have indeed used the wrong silicone. It has mold resistance in the fine print. So what now. New sand and rock? Basically start over? I'm out on a limb here.

JMFC
08/07/2012, 04:49 PM
Any Ideas? Reefers to the rescue

sfmacguy
08/07/2012, 04:56 PM
You need to get that silicone out of the tank.

JMFC
08/07/2012, 05:21 PM
I'm in the process of doing that.I'm going to let the new silicone cure for 48hrs. I'm using GE 1 door and window this time. :sad2:Should I start over with new sand and rock.

sfmacguy
08/07/2012, 05:53 PM
I would start with new sand, and wash/bleach whatever rock you had in the tank just to be safe. :)

reeefchief
08/07/2012, 07:39 PM
Id go buy a cheap fish and some snails and see what happens before.id start over