PDA

View Full Version : Why shouldn't I get a 300 gallon marineland deep dimensions tank?

skraj011
08/06/2012, 10:33 AM
I've been thinking about this for a long time now. For those with personal experience, are there reasons for me NOT to get one a 300 gallon deep dimensions tank, but rather go with a custom system?

Newbie Aquarist
08/06/2012, 10:34 AM
The only reason I can think of not getting one is to retire from reefing.

CUZ
08/06/2012, 10:51 AM
because there's bigger...

DeepSeaBeauti
08/06/2012, 11:20 AM
The tank is great, The only issue I have run into so far( and my tank is not fully set up yet) is the corner overflows. There limiting if you want a quiet efficient surface skim of the large surface area of this tank.

skraj011
08/07/2012, 07:46 AM
The tank is great, The only issue I have run into so far( and my tank is not fully set up yet) is the corner overflows. There limiting if you want a quiet efficient surface skim of the large surface area of this tank.

thanks, anyone else?

alton
08/07/2012, 12:03 PM
Because your wife won't let you? I love mine, hurry up and go buy one

albano
08/07/2012, 12:12 PM
The only issue I have run into so far is the corner overflows.
They will build it without corner overflows if you want...

ridetheducati
08/07/2012, 06:13 PM
Remove the standard overflows and insert a glass-hole overflow.

skraj011
08/08/2012, 06:38 AM
Remove the standard overflows and insert a glass-hole overflow.

this would probably void the warranty right?

albano
08/08/2012, 07:03 AM
They will build it without corner overflows if you want...

Contact them about building the tank with the overflows you want...or no overflows installed!

sfsuphysics
08/08/2012, 08:13 AM
IIRC, they do not give you any warranty on the tank unless you use their stand, this may or may not be an issue for you.

For me, Marineland does not have much of a tank presence in this country due to the monopoly of Central Pet (although I will admit it's been a couple years since I last checked). As a result there's a lot of issues in getting a tank (cost going up significantly as a result)

Lastly, they ain't cheap (again I note that it's been a while since I last looked) while they're not quite as expensive as a full on custom job, they're not that far off either. If the dimensions you actually want differ at all, I'd go custom. You're spending a lot of money as it is, you don't need to settle for a tank size that isn't ideal for you, you do that with used tanks not new ones.

skraj011
08/08/2012, 08:26 AM
IIRC, they do not give you any warranty on the tank unless you use their stand, this may or may not be an issue for you.

For me, Marineland does not have much of a tank presence in this country due to the monopoly of Central Pet (although I will admit it's been a couple years since I last checked). As a result there's a lot of issues in getting a tank (cost going up significantly as a result)

Lastly, they ain't cheap (again I note that it's been a while since I last looked) while they're not quite as expensive as a full on custom job, they're not that far off either. If the dimensions you actually want differ at all, I'd go custom. You're spending a lot of money as it is, you don't need to settle for a tank size that isn't ideal for you, you do that with used tanks not new ones.

thanks What's Central Pet?

sfsuphysics
08/08/2012, 11:09 AM
Central Pet is simply the main (only?) distributor of aquarium goods in California (possibly larger area, but I live in California so that's the only thing I care about) ;)

As I said I haven't checked things out in a couple years or so, I'm happy with what I want, and I've had no further reason to continue to investigate. I did like the idea of a Marineland DD tank when they first came out (I'm sick of acrylic), however I couldn't even get a price on one for the longest time, and now I really only have Dr Foster & Smith to compare to for pricing.

alton
08/08/2012, 12:07 PM
Central Pet is simply the main (only?) distributor of aquarium goods in California (possibly larger area, but I live in California so that's the only thing I care about) ;)

As I said I haven't checked things out in a couple years or so, I'm happy with what I want, and I've had no further reason to continue to investigate. I did like the idea of a Marineland DD tank when they first came out (I'm sick of acrylic), however I couldn't even get a price on one for the longest time, and now I really only have Dr Foster & Smith to compare to for pricing.

Well that sucks just move to Texas, I paid $1600 for mine at the fish store and our wholesaler goes out of there way to make sure you are happy if something goes wrong.

buckeyereefer1
08/08/2012, 07:08 PM
tagging along on this. to hear the negatives ! just picked mine up last weekend. starphire glass on front an sides !!

skraj011
08/09/2012, 06:38 AM
tagging along on this. to hear the negatives ! just picked mine up last weekend. starphire glass on front an sides !!

awesome which size?

skraj011
08/09/2012, 06:38 AM

interesting. Why are you sick of acrylic?

ridetheducati
08/09/2012, 02:09 PM

In the Northeast area, a new Marineland 300DD standard starphire will cost $1,700 - $1,900. Used tank $1000 - $1,400.

jt48
08/10/2012, 07:59 AM
I spent alot of time looking into the ml 300dd. Very nice system indeed for the price but chose to spend more to obtain
1. An 8 footer
2. Better overflow
3. Better stand without losing warranty( ml only Warranty tank if u use their stand)
4. Avoid crossbraces. Mine is rimless

Again for price its awesome tank.

skraj011
08/10/2012, 08:06 AM
I spent alot of time looking into the ml 300dd. Very nice system indeed for the price but chose to spend more to obtain
1. An 8 footer
2. Better overflow
3. Better stand without losing warranty( ml only Warranty tank if u use their stand)
4. Avoid crossbraces. Mine is rimless

Again for price its awesome tank.

wow your set up sounds amazing. Did you spend twice as much as for your custom job compared to the 300 DD?

jt48
08/10/2012, 09:52 AM
Yes but its my last tank unless i move and i dont plan on moving until i retire in 2024 or later. I have gone through many tanks since 1984? This is the biggest, most planned and researched to the point of making alterations in home. Its not like with other tanks where i can move it from one corner and replace it with another. anyway thats my story and im sticking with it.

buckeyereefer1
08/10/2012, 08:45 PM
awesome which size?

it's a Marineland 300 DD !!!!!

dca22anderson
08/10/2012, 08:58 PM
You should! :dance:

jnjsad
08/16/2012, 03:59 PM
I had the ML DD 300 and didn't care for it....mainly due to its size. I found it quite challenging to have access to the front (or back) of the tank - and regular maintenance was just a pain. About 2 months after warranty - front panel cracked. This was early on and part of their very first productions they sent out. I had starphire front and sides. They ended up replaceing it but I ultimately went with All-Glass 180 which was much easier to get to and for maintenance. Now, I must say - if you can get around the maintenance/accesability part - the tank really was nice - beveled edges, nice glass - it was designed nicely. the overflows weren't the best but they were do-able.

crvz
08/17/2012, 07:35 AM
there's a one year warranty if you don't use their stand... something like a twenty year warranty if you do use their stand.

The one drawback is the overflow and the top braces. The water level will get to the point that the two top braces that span front to back will be under the top of the water level if you want a lot of flow in the overflow. And by a lot, I mean anything over about 1000 gph, which on a tank that size is not really a lot. It's a bit of an annoyance, but...

I did price both custom and this tank. I got the 300DD for somewhere in the $1500 range about 2 years ago. A custom tank with anywhere near the same dimensions and shipping was always over $3000. That is a lot of money, and I was more than content to tolerate a few of the issues with the 300DD as a result.

spieszak
08/17/2012, 07:39 AM
from what I've read there is no warranty at all if you don't use a commercially built stand, and then the 1 year/20 year thing... but I read it a while back.. things change all the time...

JER-Z
08/17/2012, 08:26 AM
there's a one year warranty if you don't use their stand... something like a twenty year warranty if you do use their stand.

The one drawback is the overflow and the top braces. The water level will get to the point that the two top braces that span front to back will be under the top of the water level if you want a lot of flow in the overflow. And by a lot, I mean anything over about 1000 gph, which on a tank that size is not really a lot. It's a bit of an annoyance, but...

I did price both custom and this tank. I got the 300DD for somewhere in the $1500 range about 2 years ago. A custom tank with anywhere near the same dimensions and shipping was always over $3000. That is a lot of money, and I was more than content to tolerate a few of the issues with the 300DD as a result.

I have the 250 DD and agree with all this.

skraj011
08/17/2012, 10:17 AM
who uses the marineland stand and canopy with the deep dimensions tank?

What are the issues with them? I know the stand height is not great and consequently the space for the sump/equipment is suboptimal.

What skimmer are people using?

Anyone using the marineland sumps?

sfsuphysics
08/17/2012, 12:49 PM
interesting. Why are you sick of acrylic?
In a nutshell, acrylic is just too soft.

To expand further on that, it scratches easy

To go even further, if you need to do any serious cleaning on the surfaces (inside) you will be in for a world of hurt.

Yes acrylic "invisible" compared to glass... assuming the acrylic is perfectly clean and I mean PERFECTLY. My biggest problem is coraline algae, I don't know what it is, but every tank I've had whether it was glass or acrylic could not grow the stuff ... on rocks ... however it grew like crazy over every flat surface inside the tank. And removing coraline from acrylic is the WORST, sure you can take care of small little dots here and there with a credit card, and Mighty Magnet even sells a product (maybe repackaged) that is pretty damn great for removing it... but if I let it go for more than a week (which isn't too hard if I get really busy or go away on vacation) large colonies start to form, and it goes from a pain to remove to "WHY ME!!!!!"

With my old glass tank if that happened I pull out a razor blade and go to town scrape everything away in a few minutes and viola! Looks clear as can be... and yes it looks clearer than acrylic. Sure acrylic (and to a lesser extend starphire) is clearer, but only if it has no stuff on it, if it does however then your eye instantly focuses on it and you can see the entire glass/acrylic pane no problem.

So even though the tank I'm fixing up 8' x 3' is acrylic, I got it because it was a cheap used one (and I mean cheap!) and the place that made it does get good praise, so it's good enough. But if I ever had to get a new tank, doesn't matter if it's 12' x 8' tank that's free, if it's acrylic I don't want it! (ok if it's FREE maybe..)

crvz
08/17/2012, 06:58 PM
who uses the marineland stand and canopy with the deep dimensions tank?

What are the issues with them? I know the stand height is not great and consequently the space for the sump/equipment is suboptimal.

What skimmer are people using?

Anyone using the marineland sumps?

I've seen the marineland stand in action. It's short, but mostly because it had to be of a dimension that would fit through doors. Since it's 36" wide, and most residential interior doors are only 32", it makes sense that the stand is only what, 28" tall? Otherwise it wouldnt be very functional. I have mine built up on a stand that's about 37" high.

I'm using the ReefOctopus SSS5000INT with great success in a reef setup with a good amount of fish.

jarrett shark
08/22/2012, 06:38 PM
I own a 300dd and the only thing I hate was the cost setting it up!!!
The face people make when the see it is priceless!!!!
I just hate putting frags on rock because if they don't stick there gone
Also need to put on a snorkel every time I glue frags

Spirofucci
08/23/2012, 08:30 AM
The dimentions for the 300 DD are perfect. If it were me, I'd go custom. I forget who, but a guy on here did have ML make him one with a coast to coast over flow. IMO that is the way to go except ML doesn't really do custom work so I think he had a lot of communication problems along the way.

Maybe someone will recall who I'm talking about and direct you to that thread.

HA, even if you spend two or three times more, the cost of the tank is still the cheapest part, lol.

Spirofucci
08/23/2012, 03:56 PM
The dimentions for the 300 DD are perfect. If it were me, I'd go custom. I forget who, but a guy on here did have ML make him one with a coast to coast over flow. IMO that is the way to go except ML doesn't really do custom work so I think he had a lot of communication problems along the way.

Maybe someone will recall who I'm talking about and direct you to that thread.

HA, even if you spend two or three times more, the cost of the tank is still the cheapest part, lol.

Edit; I forgot to add that the ML DD has at least one maybe two center braces instead of "euro' bracing.

aqua man
08/23/2012, 04:46 PM
has anywone made hile in the tank bothem or sides

aqua man
08/23/2012, 04:47 PM
sorry holes in the tank

biecacka
01/25/2013, 10:22 AM
It comes with holes in bottom. A friend of mine plugged them and drilled back pane for c2c overflow
Corey

biecacka
01/25/2013, 07:35 PM
I also heard they might discontinue the series. For lack of interest I think
Corey

davidfrances
01/25/2013, 07:50 PM
I have two Marineland 250 DD's, with factory stands and canopies, being set up now and plan to add water tis weekend. Fabulous looking tanks and didn't have too much trouble finding a skimmer to fit in the stand.

Andrew D
01/26/2013, 01:48 PM
It comes with holes in bottom. A friend of mine plugged them and drilled back pane for c2c overflow
Corey

I need to drill the back as well. ANyone know for certain if they're tempered or not?

slovan
01/26/2013, 08:14 PM
I've had mine set up for about a year now and I really like it. The dimensions are nice and manageable for maintenance if its in a fish room. I can imagine it being more difficult when using their stand and canopy.

The only downside I have noticed with the tank is the 2) cross braces on the tank. It creates shadowing with the way I have my lights set up. Otherwise I think it's a good design. I have not noticed any issues with the overflows and don't mind them at all.

LEFTY67
01/27/2013, 01:46 PM
Marineland has discontinued their deep dimension Aquariums!Be careful I do not know if warranty still applies for discontinued items.

davidfrances
01/27/2013, 02:59 PM
Marineland has discontinued their deep dimension Aquariums!Be careful I do not know if warranty still applies for discontinued items.

Warranties still apply to discontinued items. Furthermore, how do you know they discontinued this product? They are still listed on their website, and my local dealer still obtains them. If you have facts to the contrary, please cite a reference or stick to facts.

I just bought two (2) 250 gallon DD's that were delivered in 2012.

These tanks have a limited LIFETIME warranty when purchased with the Marineland stands, which I did. If anyone wants a copy of the warranty card, I can post it.

albano
01/27/2013, 03:19 PM
Furthermore, how do you know they discontinued this product? They are still listed on their website, and my local dealer still obtains them. If you have facts to the contrary, please cite a reference or stick to facts.

I was also told by my LFS, almost 2 months ago that the 300 DD is being discontinued... I would guess that it would remain on their website until the distributors/dealers have depleted their inventories.

As for warranty, they can't replace a tank that they no longer have! ... Substitution!

davidfrances
01/27/2013, 05:13 PM
I was also told by my LFS, almost 2 months ago that the 300 DD is being discontinued... I would guess that it would remain on their website until the distributors/dealers have depleted their inventories.

As for warranty, they can't replace a tank that they no longer have! ... Substitution!

Instead of guessing, pick up the phone on Monday and call them.

I ordered my 250's in late October. I was told they were built to order, and my dealer received them in mid-December.

Warranty can also include purchase price back, as well as substitution.

albano
01/27/2013, 05:40 PM
Instead of guessing, pick up the phone on Monday and call them
I'm not "guessing"... and since they can't custom make it with larger drains, I don't want it!

biecacka
01/28/2013, 11:15 AM
I was just told Friday by my local lfs that it was no longer being made and he has 2 in his warehouse and after that he's out. Then it is trying to find one elsewhere. They still show on marinelands website but you can't order them. I was told due to lack of interest in the series
Corey

davidfrances
01/29/2013, 09:44 PM
I called Marineland today. The DD is no longer a stock aquarium, but is what they call a custom order. I also spoke with my local dealer, he confirmed that if I wanted a 300 DD, it's a 4-6 week build. Facts.

Charlene
01/29/2013, 10:09 PM
from what I've read there is no warranty at all if you don't use a commercially built stand, and then the 1 year/20 year thing... but I read it a while back.. things change all the time...

It all comes down to the substructure and the stand. Are you positive the floor can handle the weight and the stand is structurally sound? I'm less concerned with the manufacturers warranty than the platform I'm putting my tank on. I built a GREAT stand and put my 400 gallon tank on it. I padded the stand with a high density foam board. It would take a major seismic event to cause failure. If you are interested take a look at my build pics...

https://picasaweb.google.com/105961477062038717324/OfficeFishTank

biecacka
01/29/2013, 10:12 PM
I called Marineland today. The DD is no longer a stock aquarium, but is what they call a custom order. I also spoke with my local dealer, he confirmed that if I wanted a 300 DD, it's a 4-6 week build. Facts.

Did they give a time frame for "custom" ordering the tank. I have heard in the past they took sometimes 4-5 months to make the 300DD customizable such as no holes or coast to coast overflow.
But it is good to know they still will be made, wonder at what price or if it'll remain the same
Corey

Lam Ly
01/30/2013, 06:15 AM
I want to order one and my LFS told me they don't custom made anymore.
:furious:

alton
01/30/2013, 06:32 AM
Marineland has always had excellent customer service. I have issues with some of there heaters and LED lights, but they where always replaced with no questions asked. I would think if there is a problem with a 300DD in the future they would stand up behind it.

davidfrances
01/30/2013, 06:54 AM
Did they give a time frame for "custom" ordering the tank. I have heard in the past they took sometimes 4-5 months to make the 300DD customizable such as no holes or coast to coast overflow.
But it is good to know they still will be made, wonder at what price or if it'll remain the same
Corey

I paid $3000 each for my 250's including the factory stand and canopy. I didn't customize anything, and they were delivered to my dealer almost 6 weeks to the day after I ordered them.

I didn't ask about custom options. It would not surprise me that the ones you cite would add additional build (and perhaps design time?).

I did a fair bit of research on large tanks before I purchased these. The conclusions I drew was that if I wanted a large glass tank, build times were anywhere from 3-6+ months.

Specifically to the Marineland DD's, I read a lot about the public failures. My takeaways, and not scientifically based, were that the ones that did fail had the following elements in common:

1. They were modified by the factory from the original design
2. They were on user built or custom stands
3. They were installed on flooors supported by wooden joists

These are large, heavy tanks, and I could imagine flaws resulting from a custom design would result in structural failure.

If there was a failure of a 'factory standard' tank (i.e an unmodified tank that sits on a factory stand I didn't come across it.

davidfrances
01/30/2013, 06:57 AM
It all comes down to the substructure and the stand. Are you positive the floor can handle the weight and the stand is structurally sound? I'm less concerned with the manufacturers warranty than the platform I'm putting my tank on. I built a GREAT stand and put my 400 gallon tank on it. I padded the stand with a high density foam board. It would take a major seismic event to cause failure. If you are interested take a look at my build pics...

https://picasaweb.google.com/105961477062038717324/OfficeFishTank

I really like your stand, and if i had gone custom would have contracted fir a welded stand similar to yours.

davidfrances
01/30/2013, 06:59 AM
I want to order one and my LFS told me they don't custom made anymore.
:furious:

Call marineland, find another dealer

albano
01/30/2013, 05:52 PM

IMO, there is no way the price will remain the same, for 'custom' ordered, and 5 or 6 months is a joke...
here is the pricing from my LFS in Dec. when the distributors were looking to clear inventory

150 Gallon DD Starphire Corner-Flo Aquarium - Black $710.00
36"x36" Monterey Stand - Black $482.00
36"x36" Monterey Canopy - Black $299.00

200 Gallon DD Starphire Corner-Flo Aquarium - Black $1006.00
48"x36" Monterey Stand - Black $548.00
48"x36" Monterey Canopy - Black $335.00

250 Gallon DD Starphire Corner-Flo Aquarium - Black $1135.00
60"x36" Monterey Stand - Black $645.00
60"x36" Monterey Canopy - Black $385.00

300 Gallon DD Starphire Corner-Flo Aquarium - Black $1299.00
72"x36" Monterey Stand - Black $764.00
72"x36" Monterey Canopy - Black $450.00

biecacka
01/30/2013, 07:15 PM
Yeah I doubt it'll remain the same either. Last weekend I asked my lfs and they had 2 in stock in their warehouse, 2300$ starphire front....
I like your prices better!!
Corey

HermitTheCrab
03/22/2013, 11:56 AM
WOW...1,750$ is the best price I can get here in Toronto. As for the overflows, my LFS orders them with 1.5 inch drains vs the standard 1 inch.

ca1ore
03/22/2013, 10:38 PM
My favorite tank; had one of similar dimensions.

Fish_Time
04/05/2013, 10:57 AM
Does anyone know if these are still available (300dd)? I saw on Marineland's website under FAQ that they are no longer doing custom orders on tanks.

wrestle1
04/17/2013, 07:33 AM
I got a 300 DD in April of 2011, this march the bottom seal gave and started a slow leak, (I couldn't find where it was coming from) but thankfully I had it on thier stand. A qiuck call and email and a new tank was on the way. I must say I was impressed by their customer service. The tank should arrive today after some shipping mishaps (not marineland's fault). Anyways I love this tank!

rgulrich
04/18/2013, 09:59 AM
Mine's coming in today; the distributor (for the MD area) had 19 in stock.
Ray

Bcamp
04/21/2013, 01:20 PM
I need to drill the back as well. ANyone know for certain if they're tempered or not?

You ARE able to drill the back and bottom. I drilled 2 in the bottom and 3 in the back.

albano
04/21/2013, 01:43 PM
You ARE able to drill the back and bottom. I drilled 2 in the bottom and 3 in the back.

When I asked the dealer about this, I was told the bottom was tempered and could not be drilled on a 300DD

rgulrich
04/22/2013, 11:52 AM
From the Marineland FAQ on the 300 DD: "For the 300 gallon aquarium, the ends have a thickness of 12mm and while the bottom panel has a thickness of 19mm. "
and
"None of the panels are tempered. Obviously, as you are already aware, drilling voids any warranty."
Corners were already drilled for reef-ready.
Hope this helps.
Basement is a bit crowded after last week's delivery...still have to move the retired 225 out.
Nice chunk of glass and looking forward to a summer project...
Cheers,
Ray

tigershark4
04/22/2013, 12:44 PM
Nice I almost went with the 300DD but found a 225 with external overflows.

jnc914
04/22/2013, 12:44 PM
I talked to my LFS about Marineland discontinuing the 300DD. Basically, what I was told, was that the main reason that Marineland stopped making the 300DD as a "stock" tank was due to pricing. I say "stock" because anyone that has ever ordered a Deep Dimension tank, had to wait 6-8 weeks until it was made. (I had a Starphire 200DD) Marineland now make them custom so that they can charge a premium price comparable with other custom aquarium makers. They were taking a hit charging $1200-$1600 when a tank of the same dimensions and materials were going for double the price. Your everyday aquarist may not want to drop $3k on a custom tank, but found the 300DD more appealing due to the affordable price for the tank you get. Hell, AGA was charging almost as much for a reef ready 180 gallon. Marineland has recently been pushing their standard sized aquariums by giving pretty decent discounts to LFS 2-3 times a year. I purchased a Marineland 180 that is built beyond solid for $799 last November.

ridetheducati
04/22/2013, 03:17 PM
Nice I almost went with the 300DD but found a 225 with external overflows.

You should have gotten the 300g; the 36" width is really nice.

qwuintus
04/23/2013, 03:32 AM
Pics of tank and your home and what you want to keep would help.

myaerica
04/23/2013, 06:51 PM
Im going to get my 300dd this thursday

Andrew D
04/30/2013, 05:44 PM
I'll apologize in advance if this is not the right place to post this, but I might have an used 300G DD available for pickup in Milton, Ontario. Saw a post earlier by someone in Toronto who was having difficulty finding one for less than 1700. I bought this one for my basement only to realize that I couldn't get it down the stairs without some major reno work that my wife would definately not approve of. I ended up having a custom 350G built in my basement instead. The retailer from whom I bought it in Milton is keeping it at the store temporarily while I find another buyer. I thought I had one, but he might be backing out. If anyone's interested please pm me.

mmaisonneuve
12/15/2013, 04:45 PM
Check the post....

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2060884

Marineland 200 DD catastrophic failure

jlafou1
12/15/2013, 05:01 PM
IMO, there is no way the price will remain the same, for 'custom' ordered, and 5 or 6 months is a joke...
here is the pricing from my LFS in Dec. when the distributors were looking to clear inventory

150 Gallon DD Starphire Corner-Flo Aquarium - Black $710.00
36"x36" Monterey Stand - Black $482.00
36"x36" Monterey Canopy - Black $299.00

200 Gallon DD Starphire Corner-Flo Aquarium - Black $1006.00
48"x36" Monterey Stand - Black $548.00
48"x36" Monterey Canopy - Black $335.00

250 Gallon DD Starphire Corner-Flo Aquarium - Black $1135.00
60"x36" Monterey Stand - Black $645.00
60"x36" Monterey Canopy - Black $385.00

300 Gallon DD Starphire Corner-Flo Aquarium - Black $1299.00
72"x36" Monterey Stand - Black $764.00
72"x36" Monterey Canopy - Black $450.00

FWIW the 300DD price is the same at the moment for an end of year inventory closeout.

albano
12/15/2013, 05:23 PM
FWIW the 300DD price is the same at the moment for an end of year inventory closeout.

Actually my LFS had them for $100 LESS!

Hurricane Ivan
03/03/2014, 02:07 PM
Not sure why everyone is saying the Deep Dimensions are discontinued. I ordered a 250DD on last month and received it fairly quick. I purchased the Tank, Monteray Stand, and Class covers.
It was between this and a custom 280 with 2" steel stand, both starphire. The Custom was $3600 plus tax and the Marineland was about $800-1000 cheaper. Then you still have taxes after that. A friend has a 300DD and I really liked it, he had it customized (Eurobraced, one overflow, closed look drilled, and 3 side starphire), The customization might have ended. I know he had a problem with the Eurobrace and the glass bowed out.

As far as the stand, one thing you gotta look at is they have "True Engineers" and they do lot testing to see if they can hold the weight. Vs billy bob and his brother using 2x4s and such. The turn off is that the stand is fairly short. I'm 6' tall, so I built stand to correct any imperfections on the tile and give it a 4" lift.

PS. when will I be able to add pictures without having to use a weblink?

Hurricane Ivan
03/03/2014, 02:11 PM
I went with the 250DD instead of the 300DD because of the location placement, the stand has removable side panels for side access. It is approx 29" wide and 27" tall to fit a sump through there.

Hopefully I can start adding pics soon. Admins, why will it not give me the option to add jpeg images?

Ericd000
03/03/2014, 06:20 PM
Ivan, it's not that they were discontinued, just that MarineLand isn't building them in bulk to sit in warehouses to be sold. They 'build' them only when an order comes in so they can classify them as a custom order, but you no longer get to customize anything with them according to their rep that I spoke to at MACNA 2012. And they are going for around $1800-$2000 here in the Louisiana area.

I purchased a used 300DD with a steel stand that I am in the process of setting it up in the fish room. I'll be posting a build thread soon as I get some more progress pics.
I've been in love with the dimensions of the 300DD since I first saw one set up a few years ago. Now I have one, and it's taking forever to get everything ready to put water in it! :)

ca1ore
03/04/2014, 08:45 AM
Ivan, it's not that they were discontinued, just that MarineLand isn't building them in bulk to sit in warehouses to be sold.

Seems like a sensible approach for a big tank. Not exactly an 'impulse' purchase, so waiting a few weeks is no biggie IMO. I recently bought the ML265, and it was the same thing - price still very good, just had to wait a few weeks.

jnc914
03/04/2014, 05:14 PM
Not sure why everyone is saying the Deep Dimensions are discontinued.

:headwalls:

300DD is a custom tank, all other size DD tanks are still considered a "stock" tank and are produced regularly through Marinelan. Therefore, your 250DD is a standard order stock tank and that is why you received it so quickly. None are technically discontinued. I believe that was more than adequately explained toward the end of the thread...

drclifton
03/04/2014, 10:10 PM
Marineland blitz sale at the end of February. Just picked up a brand new 300dd for 1150.00!!!!!

Biggestfish
03/09/2014, 02:20 PM
Wish I could find one in southeast Michigan ..

thenissantech
04/09/2014, 01:00 PM
Can one of you guys tell me the name and address of one of these stores. Mine quoted me 1600

albano
04/09/2014, 01:10 PM
Can one of you guys tell me the name and address of one of these stores. Mine quoted me 1600

Where?... What state/city ?

xrayos
04/30/2014, 08:00 PM
looking for one is the northern va, maryland area. anyone still have that awesome pricing on the 300DD or 250DD?

efrainz28
05/01/2014, 12:53 AM
Picking tank size was one of the hardest decision I had to make. I always wanted to go bigger and bigger.

albano
05/01/2014, 05:46 AM
looking for one is the northern va, maryland area. anyone still have that awesome pricing on the 300DD or 250DD?

Marineland seems to offer 'sale pricing' at least twice a year (in the NY area)

ridetheducati
05/01/2014, 06:11 PM

Have you tried Quantum Reef or Aquarium One?

BZOFIQ
05/19/2014, 02:30 PM
Marineland blitz sale at the end of February. Just picked up a brand new 300dd for 1150.00!!!!!

Yeah, I wish. I'm being quoted $2090 for the 300DD. When is the next sale happening!?!?!

BZOFIQ
05/19/2014, 02:31 PM

Can't wait to take advantage of one now. Money and approval from wifey on hand.

xrayos
06/15/2014, 02:10 PM
Any update? Thanksgiving?

BZOFIQ
06/16/2014, 10:03 AM
Following a sale thread on local forum and nothing as of yet. Waiting for special on 300DD. Spoke to local vendor and he said they are expecting some specials in August.

OrionN
06/17/2014, 08:40 PM
I got a 320 gal from Planet Aquarium. 72X36 30H. This tank have stainless frame, so no brace at all. External over flow, starfire front glass. I cannot not be happier with this tank. Check with Planet Aquarium in Dallas Texas.

BfishLpond78
09/05/2014, 10:25 AM

Old post Alfie, but do you know if the new store down your way will be doing this pricing at some point...I'm in the market for something....new :)

Plus the lady and I just bought a new house so since visiting your place she's been asking for a nice wrasse sanctuary!!! So i'm blaming you!!!

albano
09/05/2014, 10:56 AM
Old post Alfie, but do you know if the new store down your way will be doing this pricing at some point...I'm in the market for something....new :)

Plus the lady and I just bought a new house so since visiting your place she's been asking for a nice wrasse sanctuary!!! So i'm blaming you!!!
I knew that I liked her, when we met!

I'm guessing that there will be another sale by November, but I'll have to ask Ralph... I've been discussing with them about making a couple of custom acrylic tanks for me, 1 will be similar specs to a 300DD... I plan on re doing my entire system (again)

Congrats on the house.

BfishLpond78
09/05/2014, 10:59 AM
Yes shes all about the Lineatus and the Flame wrasse....of course!!!

Interesting, I will have to keep saving my coins! Let me know about the acrylic tanks (Do you still have my number?)

Re-doing again huh! Your tank is gorgeous!

Thanks! We are very excited!

WestTxReefer
09/08/2014, 07:51 PM
I don't have the 300 but I do have the 150. The only draw back that I have with my 150 is reaching everything in the tank. I started to get the 300 but holy moly batman! That thing is bigger then my garden tub in the bathroom.im not very vertically gifted so reaching stuff in the back if the tank sucks! Of course it doesn't help that my canopy is 17" tall with a hinged top! (Not my idea!!) other then the actual dimensions, the tank is great and I like the marineland stuff.

moondoggy4
12/11/2014, 08:54 PM
Not much of a presence here in Ca I contacted a LFS and they stated that Marineland would do a custom tank, 1/4'' acrylic for the overflow euro braced, tempered glass on the bottom, this tank would be 4 x 3 x2 somewhere in the range of 1800 bucks dropped shipped to their store. Seems nicer than the stock tanks but more money.

BZOFIQ
12/14/2014, 09:39 PM
Not much of a presence here in Ca I contacted a LFS and they stated that Marineland would do a custom tank, 1/4'' acrylic for the overflow euro braced, tempered glass on the bottom, this tank would be 4 x 3 x2 somewhere in the range of 1800 bucks dropped shipped to their store. Seems nicer than the stock tanks but more money.

strange, why would they say no in one place and yes in another.

I am going to call them directly tomorrow.