PDA

View Full Version : Renew setup: Possible to get waste water from return instead of new pump?

GuySmily
08/06/2012, 07:14 PM
Hiya,

I'm looking at buying a Renew Pro, and was wondering if there was some way to plumb the waste water reservoir to my return pump instead of adding another pump to my sump. I don't have much space in my sump.

I imagine I'd need some kind of electric ball valve to allow flow into the waste water reservoir. Has anyone else done something like this?

edit:
Some googling has me thinking that this is a bad idea.
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Dindustrial&field-keywords=PVC+Solenoid+Valve

GenesisReefSys
08/07/2012, 06:49 AM
Good morning GuySmily,

It could certainly be done, but it might be a bit costly as I think you might have found based on the edit of your original post. It also complicates things just a bit.

If you can find a place to fit the EHEIM 1000 Compact into your sump it may be the preferred method. The EHEIM 1000 Compact is in a very small package (approximately 2" x 3" x 3" or so) relative to its output, so it wouldn't take up a whole lot of room. However, I also understand the desire to keep things neat and tidy in the aquarium cabinet.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Kevin

quan325i
08/08/2012, 07:19 PM
Kevin,

I was wondering the same thing when I set up my system a few weeks ago. My reason wasn't the lack of space in the sump but rather the weakness of the Eheim 1000. I found that it is much much weaker than the Quiet One in terms of strength. I had to shorten the hose and remove all the bending to fill the reservoir in the given time of 70s. I noticed that Genesis changed to Eheim 1000 in the past and I'm wondering if cost was the reason? In the future, I will probably upgrade the Eheim pump to the Quiet One to give this amazing setup more flexibility in terms of placement.

QN

GenesisReefSys
08/09/2012, 06:56 AM
We switched to the EHEIM 1000 Compact because it is actually a higher head pump than the QuietOne 1200's we offered before, and accordingly it is a bit more expensive as well. The EHEIM should be able to deliver 1 gpm at 6' of head with no problem as long as the tubes aren't kinked, the intake screen is clear, and there are no high-friction fittings. On occasion I've inadvertently bumped the flow adjustment on the pump intake so that it was restricting the flow, and it took some head-scratching before I finally realized what was going on.

We do offer the larger QuietOne 2200, which has a much larger footprint but also much higher head and flow rate if you do decide to jump to a higher capacity pump in the future.

Thanks for the feedback!