PDA

View Full Version : ID Carpet nem, Is it a mertensii??

AndrewAP1
08/06/2012, 08:53 PM
Hello all, I've been a lurker here for a while now mainly because all the information I ever wanted to know was found with the search function; therefore I never needed to make a post.

Here is a pic of the nem in question. Dont mind the longer tentacles behind it. It was kept in a tank with a couple Ritteri and some Condy's.
Tentacles were short and stubby for the most part, similar to my Haddoni, dots.. err.. verracuae (sp?) were exactly as picture shows, orangeish/tan
http://i1178.photobucket.com/albums/x368/AndrewAP1FTW/IMAG0218.jpg

A few weeks ago I saw this carpet at an LFS and was almost immediately positive it was a Mertensii, but I didn't have a running QT so I passed.
A week later I went back with intentions to buy it, assuming mertensii, it ate a piece or krill reluctantly, hardly sticky, and bleached looking. But it ate the krill none the less after a couple minutes.
I asked the worker to bag it so i could take it home, it was $80.
Upon removing it from the fake coral, she said "umm i think i tore the foot"
I look and sure enough, it was torn and a piece of the fake coral was now broken and hanging, whilst still attached to the nem, and the remainder of the foot stilll stuck to the coral.
So i decided to pass on it.

Did I make a correct ID? Did I make a good choice on leaving it alone after the "oops"?

Rippinfrags
08/06/2012, 10:01 PM
Sure looks like one to me. I would have Definately passed on it if the foot was torn during removal, so good choice!

BonsaiNut
08/07/2012, 07:53 AM
Yes that is a mertensii.

Reefvette
08/07/2012, 07:29 PM
Good find

AndrewAP1
08/07/2012, 09:29 PM
Good find

Would've been better had it come home with me. I was rather upset that the lady damaged it. Sadly it probably is dead by now.