PDA

View Full Version : Lighting fixrture upgrade rec's - The good, the bad, the uglies?

stlcard
08/06/2012, 11:02 PM
Hey guys,

I am finally going to make the jump to higher watts. Im looking to upgrade to 156w. aka 4.7 watt/ per gallon (33 gal tank)

So im looking into t5 4x36" fixtures. Could you please post your brand suggestions? Brands to avoid? I am willing to spend up to 250ish.

I almost jumped on an Odyssea T5 fixture in amazon, but wisely searched reviews first.. seems Odyssea sucks? bad bulbs? hot lamps? money better spent to something else?

Looking for pro tips and advice on shopping.

End game: i want to better support my softies and possibly allow for a BTA,
33 gal tank.

izzy123
08/07/2012, 06:46 AM
I can't help you with that, first of all I'm on the other side of the ocean, and second I use leds over my 40G.

Just give the guys and girls over here some time, and you will get the help you need.

Good luck

Waddleboy
08/07/2012, 07:59 AM
tek is good one. heard lots of good things from people that use it

stlcard
08/07/2012, 09:13 AM
thanks, how about coralife? Ive been looking at their 4x36" - $195 @ DRFosterSmith

mandarin_goby
08/07/2012, 09:23 AM
I have no issues with my Odyssea 2-bulb t5HO fixture. I swapped out the stock actinic with an ATI blue + and that made a big difference.

I've had a couple Coralifes and had issues (a 24" power compact and a slim T5 fixture), but my current 48" Coralife fixture on my freshwater tank (power compact) is still going strong after 3 yrs.

Ordered a 4x36" Odyssea fixture as an upgrade for my 12 long reef - it's the one with the timer. It's too bulky for that tank, but it's very well made, has fans, legs and separate controls for 2 bulbs at a time and the LEDs. Very nice quality for $99. Aquatraders has good reviews for it, and there's threads out there with positive reviews too (from google searches for other forums).

Some people love Odyseea, some people hate them. I'm a try-it-myself and judge kind of person and I have a LED fixture on a freshwater tank that grows a hard-to-grow plant like crazy, and then the 2x39w T5HO I have on the reef is sleek, runs cool and I have happy, thriving corals (zoas, palys, mushrooms, star polyps and a couple others) and fish under it.

stlcard
08/10/2012, 09:32 AM
okay thanks for the help. Ill look into odyssea again.

mandarin_goby
08/10/2012, 11:14 AM
there was another post regarding lighting and they were asking about the Odyssea lights...a couple members also recommended them. I think you'll like them :) For the money, they're a great deal.