PDA

View Full Version : Just setup my new Current USA Cardiff 24g nano

seminoleFLreef
08/07/2012, 01:46 PM
Last week I bought the Cardiff tank and stand from a seller on Craigslist. It didnt come with any lights, and being married with 3 young kids, im doing this on a shoestring budget.

Tank and Stand, brand new from someone who was going to use it as a QT. Total cost was $280. Not bad for Tank, stand, built in skimmer and return pump. First thing I did was buy 10lbs of live rock and a 20lb bag of live sand and added water. Instead of using the mini-bioballs that came with the tank, I beatup some rock and replaced that chamber with rubble. My plan was to let it cycle while I save up for an LED build.

The following day, I gathered up 5 compact flourescent squiggly bulbs and tore down a lamp that had 5 individual bendy arms for lights... hung that from the ceiling and BAM... there was light. kinda.

The bulbs are from my old photography business, 5500k so they dont look TOO bad. I just question the issue of growing all kinds of unwanted algea with sub-par lights. After adding the light, I did get to see that there was two mushrooms that opened up and what looks to be a few serpent stars that came with the live rock. This pretty much ends the story up till today.

I am really wanting to light this tank, but would rather save a little longer for a GREAT LED build, instead of just the basics. 3 colors, maybe 4, each with independent dimmers and a nice reef crontroller isnt cheap. Ive posted a WANT Ad on craigslist looking for anyone with a 20" PC light. Maybe the deal of the year will come my way.

Anyone have advice, insight, experience with this Cardiff setup? Ive also got a 14g Biocube reef thats doing pretty good and ive had reef tanks since 2004 off and on, so im not too green at this hobby. Thanks for reading my story :D If you have a Cardiff, post some pics, im really excited about the look of this tank, cant wait to see it with some more LIFE in it!

seminoleFLreef
08/08/2012, 07:08 PM
THANKYOU SAM!
I got an email from my 20" light want ad, and picked up a 72watt (12k/actinic/moons) for $20.

Tank is lit and ready for the LED build now.

Sam, what an incredible BB 180 you have going, very impressed and lucky to live SO CLOSE!

Now its time to build the LED's.

I also figured out, its not bristlestars I have.... its a few big bristleworms...
Not sure if im going to let them stay or start trapping them.