PDA

View Full Version : Carbon/GFO or BioPellets in Phosban Reactor?

Toadally
08/07/2012, 03:47 PM
My tank has been up and running almost three years now. Last year, it crashed because of a heater issue and drove the temp up to 95 degrees killing a few fish and coral. Since that happened I've had issues with HA in several places and I just can't get rid of it. I've been dosing vinegar for several weeks and I'm up to 15ml per day. I run carbon passively in a filter bag in the sump.

The question is, should I just run carbon and GFO in my new Phosban reactor or go with biopellets? Below are the parameters of the tank. Thanks!

water: 70 gal total
salinity: 1.026ppm
alk: 9 - 10dkh
cal: 400ppm
NO3: 0
PO4: 0.05

bertoni
08/08/2012, 03:55 AM
I'd probably run some GFO and carbon. I don't see any point in running pellets just yet, although that day might come. I'd run carbon even if I had pellets running on a system, since they remove different things.

downbeach
08/08/2012, 04:50 AM
I like to run all three in separate reactors. What do you use to measure your param's? Are you running a fuge?

Toadally
08/08/2012, 02:17 PM
I like to run all three in separate reactors. What do you use to measure your param's? Are you running a fuge?

I do have a fuge with Chato, but it doesn't grow well, which is really strange. Since I've started dosing vinegar the growth of HA has slowed somewhat.

I use the Hanna Checker for PO4 and Salifert for other tests.

Toadally
08/08/2012, 02:18 PM
Thanks for the replies...

bertoni
08/08/2012, 10:34 PM
You're welcome! You could try working on the lighting for the refugium, I suppose.

downbeach
08/09/2012, 06:22 AM
You're welcome! You could try working on the lighting for the refugium, I suppose.

+1
This would be my next best guess too. The HA in your tank is keeping your readings low, since that's what is utilizing the excess nutrients. So, you need to get your Chaeto to out compete the HA for the nutients. What are you using for light, and when was the last time you replaced the fuge lights/tubes, etc.?
If your Chaeto is decomposing, it's just adding the nutrients it once absorbed, back into your system.

tmz
08/09/2012, 10:13 AM
I'd ,personally, stick with vinegar and/or vodka and not the pellets. The macro algae is helpful too if well lit.. If the Po4 drops below .03ppm or so , it won't grow much though. The agale in the tank may be feeding of left overs from the crash leaching from the rock or decaying matter. It may take a while for that to exhaust.

Toadally
08/10/2012, 07:07 AM
+1
This would be my next best guess too. The HA in your tank is keeping your readings low, since that's what is utilizing the excess nutrients. So, you need to get your Chaeto to out compete the HA for the nutients. What are you using for light, and when was the last time you replaced the fuge lights/tubes, etc.?
If your Chaeto is decomposing, it's just adding the nutrients it once absorbed, back into your system.

I'm using a 60w curly bulb...65k. There's HA growing in the fuge also. The Chato isn't decomposing that I can see, it's just not growing very well.

Toadally
08/10/2012, 07:10 AM
I'd ,personally, stick with vinegar and/or vodka and not the pellets. The macro algae is helpful too if well lit.. If the Po4 drops below .03ppm or so , it won't grow much though. The agale in the tank may be feeding of left overs from the crash leaching from the rock or decaying matter. It may take a while for that to exhaust.

I've started using carbon and GFO in the reactor. So we'll see how that goes.

Thanks!

Dre59
08/10/2012, 07:20 AM
IMO, keep doing the vinegar and start GFO and carbon.. Remove much as possible during water changes.. Also you might have to up your water changes to weekly untill its under control.

Some members have great results and some bad with BP.. I will try the GFO, water changes and carbon 1st, before going to BP..

Good luck!!

Toadally
08/10/2012, 05:41 PM
IMO, keep doing the vinegar and start GFO and carbon.. Remove much as possible during water changes.. Also you might have to up your water changes to weekly untill its under control.

Some members have great results and some bad with BP.. I will try the GFO, water changes and carbon 1st, before going to BP..

Good luck!!

I usually do daily water changes of 1g. I guess I could double the water change.

Thanks for the advice!