PDA

View Full Version : Fairy Wrasse acting strange

Beat_You_Wrasse
08/07/2012, 04:55 PM
Hi everyone, my first post here. I'm creating this thread because I have an exquisite fairy wrasse that is suddenly acting strange. He is laying behind the rocks on his belly most of the time. He is usually out and about swimming all over the place. He shows no signs of parasites or heavy breathing. He came out and eat real good today but has been really hiding out a lot lately. He did this before when I first added him for a few days and my melanurus wrasse was not letting him come out. He does seem to be acting aggressive towards him again but not very. Any ideas would be much appreciated.

Ps. I started dosing vodka 4 days ago starting with .3ml also added a DIY coil denitrator at that time too. I'm also going to be running BRS ROX carbon as well tonight.

72 gallon 20 gallon sump

Ph 8.2
Alk 10
Cal 420
Mag 1350
Nitrate 20
Phos 0

Beat_You_Wrasse
08/08/2012, 02:16 PM
I'm about to loose him so... If anyone could help, I'd appreciate it.

andip3
08/08/2012, 08:52 PM
If he is just laying around the melanurus wrasse has probably been picking on him. Isolate the two fish so the fairy wrasse can gain back it's strength if you have a quarantine setup you can throw him in there to recover.

Beat_You_Wrasse
08/09/2012, 01:17 AM
Too late. He's gone. I think it was some kind of bacterial related death in the gills. Sad. I don't know how ppl expect you to get them out of a DT to treat them. There was no way I was going to get him out. Oh well I guess better luck next time.

albano
08/09/2012, 06:53 AM
I don't know how ppl expect you to get them out of a DT to treat them. There was no way I was going to get him out.

How long did you have him ?.. How long was it in QT?

Beat_You_Wrasse
08/09/2012, 07:18 AM
I noticed him starting to act strange the day before I started this thread. He was gone yesterday. He never made it to QT. I couldn't catch him. I had him for about 2 months. He appeared to be happy and healthy and ate real good all the time. I always fed the best food I could have. I even run an over sized high quality uv sterilizer and have fish that are much more sensitive than him in the same system. Like a baby hippo tang and flame angel. I even had a PB tang in there for a while then got rid of him.

I stopped dosing vodka the moment I saw him like this and haven't since thinking it may somehow be related.

albano
08/09/2012, 09:02 AM
He never made it to QT. I couldn't catch him. I had him for about 2 months.

I think most 'experienced' reefers will tell you, that he should have been in QT...to start with...for the first 6-8 weeks...might have been something you would have been able to see before it was too late and impossible (?) to catch.

EllieSuz
08/09/2012, 10:02 AM
You will need to carefully observe your other fish now, in the event whatever killed your wrasse was contagious. You might start up a quarantine/hospital tank now for future purchases and to treat the rest of your fish if they show symptoms.

Beat_You_Wrasse
08/09/2012, 11:56 AM
I think most 'experienced' reefers will tell you, that he should have been in QT...to start with...for the first 6-8 weeks...might have been something you would have been able to see before it was too late and impossible (?) to catch.

I personally think that 8 weeks in a QT is a bit excessive. I had him in 2 weeks and was in the clear of any illness. This problem seemed to come out of nowhere and appeared to be completely isolated to the DT from the start.

Do you think the vodka had anything to do with it?

Beat_You_Wrasse
08/09/2012, 11:58 AM
You will need to carefully observe your other fish now, in the event whatever killed your wrasse was contagious. You might start up a quarantine/hospital tank now for future purchases and to treat the rest of your fish if they show symptoms.

Very much agreed and I do.

Beat_You_Wrasse
08/09/2012, 12:05 PM
Thank you guys for the advice

albano
08/09/2012, 12:08 PM
I personally think that 8 weeks in a QT is a bit excessive. I had him in 2 weeks and was in the clear of any illness.

Do you think the vodka had anything to do with it?
I don't believe many people will agree that 2 weeks of QT, will do ANY good, at all, or that you can be sure that the fish had NO problems/diseases!

I never dosed vodka, but I would think the only problem would be from an overdose (just like humans)

Beat_You_Wrasse
08/09/2012, 02:30 PM
I never dosed vodka, but I would think the only problem would be from an overdose (just like humans)[/QUOTE]

Lol!!!

Beat_You_Wrasse
08/13/2012, 04:50 PM
All other fish continue to do well and show no signs of ailment. I have also returned to dosing vodka.

hanaumabay
08/14/2012, 01:03 AM
sorry about your loss.

Beat_You_Wrasse
08/14/2012, 04:02 AM
sorry about your loss.

The wake was today and the funeral will be at 9:00am tomorrow.