PDA

View Full Version : need new filter

rognermp
08/07/2012, 08:09 PM
I have a 20g tank with only a few fish, but my filter is old and very poor quality. I was looking for suggestions for a new one that's quiet, good quality and will hopefully move the water better, but hopefully not super costly. also should I get a small power head to help move the water?? (really need it to run quiet, it's in my bedroom)

cloak
08/08/2012, 11:29 AM
You can't go wrong with any of the Aquaclear HOB filters IMO. As far as powerheads go, some of the Koralia pumps seem to be pretty popular. HTH.

http://www.aquacave.com/Hagen-AquaClear-Aquarium-Power-Filters-C998.aspx

http://www.aquacave.com/Koralia-Evolution-High-Flow-Powerheads-by-Hydor-C804.aspx

mandarin_goby
08/08/2012, 11:48 AM
Aquaclears are awesome and easy to convert into a refugium. Amazon has very good prices on them and free shipping.

I have a Koralia Nano powerhead (240 gph) for movement in my 12 gallon long tank, plus an Aquaclear 50. They're both very very quiet.

Sugar Magnolia
08/08/2012, 12:38 PM
Aquaclear all the way. Use the largest one you can fit on the back. I run a AC 110 on my 40g.

Chris27
08/08/2012, 12:43 PM
Aquaclear all the way. Use the largest one you can fit on the back. I run a AC 110 on my 40g.

I run that one on my 20L QT.....the bigger the better!

Jarmen
08/08/2012, 03:48 PM
I'm running an Aquaclear as well. It is very quiet, easy to clean and it's easy to run your own media in them.

Jason

SaltyReefDog
08/08/2012, 04:38 PM
AC's are great filters, they are reliable and quite. I have had a few AC's 110/500 for years now with no problems.

If you are not looking to spend that much I can also recommend the Aquatech filters from wal-mart. They are made in Cincinnati Ohio by the same people who manufacture the Marineland bio-wheel filters only without the bio-wheel. They are high quality at an affordable price.

I can also recommend the Hydor Koralia Nano 240 & 425 nano powerheads. I have one of each and they have been trouble free and quite for the last 2 years. They are just as quite as my Tunze 6045's.

I have both a Koralia 425 nano, and a aquatech 5-15 on my bedroom nano tank and it is almost dead silent.

Good luck with whatever pumps you decide on. Have fun!:bounce3:

bensr20det
08/08/2012, 04:43 PM
I have to second everyone else here. AquaClear filter and Koralia nano. I am very pleased with all these products myself

rognermp
08/09/2012, 02:32 PM
I just looked and saw that my current filter is a aquaclear, I know it's old but not sure how old. my friend has had tanks for years and recently convinced me to finally start my own. (she gave me everything to start, tank,filter-including carbon and sponge from her tank, heater, sand, same rock, bag of salt and 10gal of water from her tank = awesome friend!!!!) it's the motor that's loud, I've tried to clean it out but it's still noisy, should I still get a new filter?? or should I look for a motor??

greech
08/09/2012, 02:38 PM
If you can find the motor then that should do it. The motor is probably ok and it is the impeller that needs replacing (warped aor pieces of the fan blades are broken). You should be able to find one of those fairly easily.

Not sure what size you are running but a AC 70 would be a good choice for a 20g although you could use a 110 if you wanted.