PDA

View Full Version : Kalkwasswer in nanos

pleuralplexus
08/07/2012, 10:40 PM
Just wondering if anyone out there has been using Kalkwasser in their nano aquarium. It seems like that would be an amazing feat in such a small volume but worth while if possible to do safely.

And what do YOU use to manage calcium and hardness

phryan
08/07/2012, 11:05 PM
I use kalk in my BC29, both dosing and topoff. My ATO is set to go on for 1 minute (50ml) every half hour only if the water level is low. In addition I dose 50ml once an hour for the 12 hours at night, to help stabilize the pH and minimize the ATO during the day hours. All of this is controlled by an Apex controller, the pump is a BRS 50ml/min doser.

50ml will raise my ph by 0.00-0.02, which is why the max dose at any point is 50ml. I test Calcium and Kalk once a week and can manually boost either with 2 part.

THS
08/08/2012, 06:01 AM
I am about to implement a kalk dripper in my system. My water hovers around 7.9, so I will be using very dilute kalk.

pompeyjohn
08/08/2012, 07:45 AM
I use an avast kalk stirrer for my top off water. I also use a PH monitor to ensure that the concentration is correct. Works well.

Nano sapiens
08/08/2012, 05:49 PM
I've been using Kalkwasser for over 4 years in my 12g Nano without any issues. I add a predetermined amount of clear, saturated Kalkwaser to the RO water in my gravity-fed ATOs.

pleuralplexus
08/11/2012, 09:37 AM
Wow you guys are Nano Knights!
I know my limits and time for this level of titration just doesn't exist in my busy life. Seachem Reef Builder just doesn't cut it in a 28g. So maybe ill switch to a two part.

codyreef29
08/11/2012, 12:43 PM
I only dose with a bottle of pro buffer dkh from kent and I eventually am going to add it to my topoff system once it's fully stocked and I figure out how much I need to add. I guess I'll have to figure out exactly how much water i use in a amount of time then figure out how much to add per day then for example say i use 2 gallons of water every 5 days. and I need to add 5 ml every 5 days. So i add 5 ml of dkh buffer everytime I refill my topoff container.

This is how to keep a constant alk 5 ml spread out over 5 days is the same as adding 1 ml. which my auto topoff adds small amounts of water about 20-30 per day. Keeping the ph up while maintaing a consistent alk reading.

IN OTHER WORDS NO NEED FOR REACTOR

pompeyjohn
08/12/2012, 10:13 PM
I only dose with a bottle of pro buffer dkh from kent and I eventually am going to add it to my topoff system once it's fully stocked and I figure out how much I need to add. I guess I'll have to figure out exactly how much water i use in a amount of time then figure out how much to add per day then for example say i use 2 gallons of water every 5 days. and I need to add 5 ml every 5 days. So i add 5 ml of dkh buffer everytime I refill my topoff container.

This is how to keep a constant alk 5 ml spread out over 5 days is the same as adding 1 ml. which my auto topoff adds small amounts of water about 20-30 per day. Keeping the ph up while maintaing a consistent alk reading.

IN OTHER WORDS NO NEED FOR REACTOR

How will you be mixing the buffer in the freshwater reservoir? Also will you need the buffer to remain in suspension? Do you know if its potency lessens over time? I'd hate for it to precipitate out, or weaken after a few days to the point of being useless.

I am not knocking you, it sounds like a good idea - but there are a lot of variables I'd want to check on first.

pleuralplexus
08/13/2012, 04:35 PM
well clearly I'm not ready to deal with Kalkwasser. I've looked into Bulk Reef Supply's two-part, and it looks fairly simple. But the calcium portion is KCl. I thought Kalkwasswer is KCl. Isnt it? IF BRS two part is simply cheap kalkwasser and buffer, then I'm in over my head already :(

Caetano_Thiago
08/13/2012, 06:10 PM
i would use aquavitro fuel. no cloggin up your line. and its much better for smaller systems. my set up right now is B-ionic salt for my weekly changes, and i just add aquavitro fuel in my ATO so when ever the pump turns on it gives it a lil boost

pleuralplexus
08/13/2012, 08:49 PM
i would use aquavitro fuel. no cloggin up your line. and its much better for smaller systems. my set up right now is B-ionic salt for my weekly changes, and i just add aquavitro fuel in my ATO so when ever the pump turns on it gives it a lil boost

Thanks I'll look into that! Clearly what I've been doing isn't working. Any other thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Also in my last post I don't know why I said "KCl" because I meant "CaCl". I thought kalkwasser was calcium chloride, which is acidic when mixed with water. The first part of BRS two part solution is calcium chloride.

pompeyjohn
08/13/2012, 09:34 PM
aquavitro and kalk perform differently. You can not dose one expecting it to replace the other.

Amphiprion
08/13/2012, 09:50 PM
well clearly I'm not ready to deal with Kalkwasser. I've looked into Bulk Reef Supply's two-part, and it looks fairly simple. But the calcium portion is KCl. I thought Kalkwasswer is KCl. Isnt it? IF BRS two part is simply cheap kalkwasser and buffer, then I'm in over my head already :(

There should be very little potassium chloride (KCl) in the BRS 2 part--it would only be present as an impurity. It contains calcium chloride and sodium bicarbonate or sodium carbonate. Kalkwasser is calcium hydroxide or calcium oxide.

Aquavitro fuel isn't even close to kalkwasser in terms of form or function.

FWIW, kalkwasser is cheaper on smaller scales than even DIY 2 part. I'm using it now (and have for years, on and off) in my 25g as a drip-style setup. I initially used it in ATO-style setups, but I kept having hardware failures of various kinds (mostly the ATOs themselves), so I eliminated that as a potential risk factor. One thing to be sure of is to keep an eye on pH. I make sure I have some form of aeration while dosing to make sure to introduce CO2, which lowers the pH a bit.

deebs
08/13/2012, 10:09 PM
Sorry to go a little off topic but... with the Aquavitro fuel, doesnt that stuff need to be refrigerated after being opened? I dont think you can just pour some into your ato resovoir and it be alright. If thats the case I could save some time and room in my fridge.

As far as Kalkwasser, I have heard good and bad things about this stuff. I personally dont use it for the mer fact that I like using the least amount of chemicals on my tank. Also I do frequent water changes to maintain a healthy balanced water chemistry.

KafudaFish
08/14/2012, 11:11 AM
I dose 100 ml once a day by hand.

I mix up 1 TSP of pickling lime in a half gallon container and use a graduated cylinder to measure and then pour out.

pleuralplexus
08/14/2012, 08:39 PM
I dose 100 ml once a day by hand.

I mix up 1 TSP of pickling lime in a half gallon container and use a graduated cylinder to measure and then pour out.

So what do you do when you go on vacation?

In general, the whole idea of dosing (even with automated pumps) with something that can ultimately kill everything if it gets out of whack while I'm gone is unnerving.

KafudaFish
08/15/2012, 09:09 AM
In the two years the tank has been running I have been on vacation for longer than a week three times, and have been on short, three days vacations, two or three times.

Luckily I have a family member that takes care of the tanks. Once on my 95 a large turbo snail got into the plumbing (how I don't know) and slowed the flow enough that some water overflowed. He heard something off and turned everything else off until I got home. Glad I had unions on the plumbing.

The secret to a good tank sitter are:

1. Someone that cares i.e. a family member or another reefer.
2. You have to make it easy for them. Instead of showing them the day before you leave have them watch you for several days and they do it then.
3. Write everything down no matter how simple.
For example feed once a day. Feed what? Feed how much?
If you have to, put the food in zip loc bags and write the day of the week that way only that much is fed to the fish.
If you are going to be gone over the weekend just feed extra the day before and the day you return.

So what would I do if I didn't have that person?

I DIYed all of my rock work and I have a place in the tank that will hold the sensor so I could go away for ever how long I wanted to and would be ok.

I "work" on my tank an average of one to two minutes per day including toping off, adding kalk, and cleaning the front glass and I designed my system just for that.

Finally though I have some flexibility to my tank, this does make me look at it each day and see if something is off.

I and I am sure everyone on here has read about a mechanical failure killing everything but I have never read that someone forgot to topoff a tank and doing the same.

One "safe guard" to failure is limiting the amount of additive that could be dumped into the tank. If you are adding 50 ml of Ca and Alk each day start each week with 400 ml of each solution instead of 2000 ml. You could still get a huge swing but maybe not enough to see a tank of death.

Fast_Talon
08/15/2012, 02:10 PM
I used to dose kalk but I found the 2part solution and a dosing pump so easy.

I have a great kalk mixer if someone wants a used one.

printerdown01
08/17/2012, 11:16 AM
I have head too many nano horror stories over the years with the stuff. I use b ionic and have been very happy. I hand dose. I add 1 ml to a giant cup of tank water then slowly dribble it back into the tank. That way it is at least diluted when entering the tank.

pleuralplexus
08/26/2012, 12:20 AM
After doing more research, it appears that those who dose with BRS two part dont have as much success as those that use b ionic. I'm going to give b ionic a shot... I have to do something one way or another because I've now got a fresh batch of SPS frags and if I keep just dribbling in some purple tech and reef builder I'll be in big trouble in a hurry I suspect...