PDA

View Full Version : Paint choice for newly constructed stand?

BigAirHarper
08/08/2012, 11:58 AM
SO I'm almost done building my stand however I would like to know the best way to go about painting it black. What type of paint should I use? I was thinking something semigloss with a combined primer built into the paint. I know people have said spraying is the best, but I don't think that will be an option for me and I will most likely need to roll/brush it on. I was just curious mainly what the best recommendations are for painting on wood and what type of paint I should try. Thanks for any info.

livingseas
08/08/2012, 12:03 PM
SO I'm almost done building my stand however I would like to know the best way to go about painting it black. What type of paint should I use? I was thinking something semigloss with a combined primer built into the paint. I know people have said spraying is the best, but I don't think that will be an option for me and I will most likely need to roll/brush it on. I was just curious mainly what the best recommendations are for painting on wood and what type of paint I should try. Thanks for any info.

I've read about people using rhino liner stuff from the local auto storer for the inside. Takes a couple cans but it basically coats the wood with a rubber coating thats really tough and water proof.

For the outside, depending if you want to see the grain or not. I would go with s oil based primer and then a yop coat of an oil gloss black.
paint.

triggreef
08/09/2012, 05:23 AM
I used a semi gloss by rustoleum. worked fine, and can still see the grains which is what I wanted. also did it with a brush

fltt
08/09/2012, 05:58 AM
Is it Pine?

fishgate
08/09/2012, 06:11 AM
Why can't you spray? Nothing will look better than a sprayed on finish. Take it out to the middle of a field if you have to. Plus spray paint drys to the touch in like 10 minutes.

JustinFromAL
08/09/2012, 08:31 AM
I just did this last weekend. 2 coats of Kilz2 covering everything inside and out. Then 2 coats of exterior gloss black, only on the viewable area of the tank. I used a mini roller and a those little sponges on a stick. Light sanding between coats.

I'm very happy with the results! I'd show off some pics but I didn't take any and I'm at work. Good luck!