PDA

View Full Version : How to increase Ph level

Seagars
08/08/2012, 07:23 PM
My ph level is running a little low at 7.8 to 8.0 and I know I need to raise it. What is the best way to do this? Treat RO water, treat new salt water or treat the tank water? Then what is the best stuff to treat with? Marine buffer (which I have) or some other chemical?
Thank you

andy2966
08/08/2012, 07:45 PM
Your 7.8 -8.0 is not real low. Your marine buffer should increase the ph. Some people just add backing soda to increase ph. But I don't know much about that.Also at night when the lights goes out your ph will drop.

kissman
08/08/2012, 07:51 PM
surface turbulance will help or a bulkreefsupply sells a CO2 scrubber. If you have a night that cool try opening the windows. A lot of times when we run AC and keep house closed up the ph level will drop. CO2 scrubber will can help bring PH up. I would give you a link but BRS website is down for maintenance

fishchef
08/08/2012, 08:40 PM
I wouldn't worry too much about pH. Watch your dKH and dose to address alkalinity. 9/10 is a good target. Buffers for pH can drive your dKH too high. Dosing for dKH will keep your pH in line. Yours sounds fine.

downbeach
08/09/2012, 06:53 AM
My ph level is running a little low at 7.8 to 8.0 and I know I need to raise it. What is the best way to do this? Treat RO water, treat new salt water or treat the tank water? Then what is the best stuff to treat with? Marine buffer (which I have) or some other chemical?
Thank you

I just replied to this on the same question you posted in the reef chemistry forum.

ecvernon
08/09/2012, 07:08 AM
7.8 to 8.0 is a good range as previously stated. IMO one of the most important to to have stable alkalinity calcium and magnesium. One these parameters were correct in my tank my ph went up. You could also try running an airdrome in your tank to see if it helps to increase your ph a bit

heathlindner25
08/09/2012, 10:17 AM
+1 on Co scrubber