PDA

View Full Version : Reef octopus problem

katekate087
08/08/2012, 10:38 PM
Ive just upgraded my protein skimmer to a Reef Octopus 6" Pinwheel In Sump Skimmer OCT NWB150 and I'm having an issue with it filling up with water when I turn everything off during feeding time... Ive tried using the drain hose to just flush the water out but I'm having to top off more often and I've also tried closing the valve for the return water but that only made it fill faster when I turned the pumps back on... This is becoming an extremely annoying issue because the crap it's just skimmed is now consequently spilling back into the tank. Has anyone else had this issue with this machine? What do I do?

cbonito
08/08/2012, 11:07 PM
Is your sump a constant level where the skimmer is located?
If not, it needs to be. I can't see why it would fill up for any other reason...

katekate087
08/08/2012, 11:16 PM
The sump fills up a couple gallons when the pumps are off, everything back siphons.

kriv4o
08/08/2012, 11:29 PM
I have the same skimmer and when my return is off, the level in the sump goes up a couple of inches and it starts overflowing(the skimmer not the sump itself lol)

katekate087
08/08/2012, 11:33 PM
Yea my skimmer is overflowing! What do I do about it! Every time I feed my fish all the **** water goes right back into the tank. This is an expensive skimmer, I shouldn't be having these issues!

tkeracer619
08/08/2012, 11:37 PM
Don't turn off your pumps.

If you want to turn them off turn the skimmer off as well and restart it when everything else is at the proper levels. It is going to overflow because of the changing water levels. That skimmer requires a constant water level so make sure you have a good auto top off.

katekate087
08/09/2012, 09:15 AM
Ok that was going to be my next thing I tried, I have all my pumps on the same power strip. So I'll turn the skimmer and other pumps off separately and try it that way. It's a great pump and work very well lol but I don't see the point in skimming if it's just dumping back into the tank lol stay tuned. I can't imagine it's going to be that easy for me. Nothing seems to ever be.

OregonReefer2
08/09/2012, 10:21 AM
The easy solution would be to turn off your skimmer if you're going to turn off your return pump

wildman926
08/09/2012, 10:24 AM
Don't turn off your pumps.

If you want to turn them off turn the skimmer off as well and restart it when everything else is at the proper levels. It is going to overflow because of the changing water levels. That skimmer requires a constant water level so make sure you have a good auto top off.

The easy solution would be to turn off your skimmer if you're going to turn off your return pump

X2. Part of learning how your system works. Sump has to stay at a constant level as skimmer will react if it goes up or down.

katekate087
08/09/2012, 11:37 AM
I always turn all the pumps off when I feed the fish, I'm going to continue turning everything off, just when I turn everything back in I'll just wait top for the level of the sump to drain back through the return and let the level of the skimmer return to normal and then switch it on. I don't of anyway to keep the levels consistent in the sump and skimmer.... On going process til I find a resolve, I guess

steely185
08/09/2012, 12:00 PM
I always shut the skimmer off first then the return pump. When done working on the tank or feeding I turn the pump on and let it get the sump back to normal level then turn the skimmer on. It's been that way with three different skimmers (all reef octos) that I have owned. If you do it that way you shouldn't have any issues with it overflowing.

If you have a controller you could always set it up that way with two different feed programs that kill power to the skimmer separate from the pumps. If not you have to do it manually.

wildman926
08/09/2012, 12:00 PM
I always turn all the pumps off when I feed the fish, I'm going to continue turning everything off, just when I turn everything back in I'll just wait top for the level of the sump to drain back through the return and let the level of the skimmer return to normal and then switch it on. I don't of anyway to keep the levels consistent in the sump and skimmer.... On going process til I find a resolve, I guess

The sump is supposed to rise when you turn off the pumps. That why your skimmer overflows. Turn off the skimmer with the pumps, as previously stated.

Before you do anything, mark where the level is normally with a sharpie on the sump, and then turn off the pumps and skimmer. when you turn on the pumps, the level should lower back down CLOSE to this mark, and then you can turn back on the skimmer.