PDA

View Full Version : Question re: Revising Carbon Dosing

JohnV8r
08/09/2012, 01:54 PM
In the aftermath of my sandbed being blown all over by a dislodged powerhead (see thread here: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2198663), I have had a bit of a hair algae outbreak.

The nitrates after the powerhead incident were down to less than 1 ppm within 48 hours. The phosphates are down to an immeasurable level again after some aggressive GFO use. However, I am aware that the immeasurable level of phosphate is now in part because the significantly increased amount of hair algae is consuming the phosphates. I would like to make sure I am aggressively suppressing the phosphates to eradicate the hair algae.

When I began vodka dosing, I followed the instructions in the excellent Reefkeeping article, "Vodka Dosing...Distilled." I titrated the amount of vodka up per the instructions and then down until finally reaching immeasurable nitrate and phospate levels at .7 ml daily for my estimated net 196 gallon system. When I did this initially, I did not use GFO because I wanted to reach the most efficient nitrate/phosphate export with carbon dosing. Once I found that, I then added GFO into a reactor to account for any phosphate that existed in the "immeasurable" range of my test kit.

Dosing .7 ml of vodka and using GFO has worked flawlessly until the powerhead incident. I would now like to retitrate to recalculate the needed amount of vodka to get to immeasurable levels without GFO.

My question then is how do I take an existing reef that is running GFO off GFO and increase the vodka dosing in the most safe manner?

The Reefkeeping article has a starting point for vodka dosing at .1 ml per 25 gallons. I'm essentially there right now. The next step is to increase to .2 ml per 25 gallons, which would put me at 1.6 ml. Should that be my starting point?

The next step per the article is to increase by .5 ml each week until nutrient levels are immeasurable. Is that the appropriate increase with an existing reef tank that is currently being vodka dosed?

I just want to make sure I do this cautiously, yet expeditiously.

Thanks in advance.

bertoni
08/09/2012, 10:11 PM
Is the nitrate level still measurable? If so, I'd just raise the vodka dosing and leave the GFO alone, and see how that goes. If the nitrate is gone, I'd probably try raising the vodka dosing very gradually, maybe 10% a week, and leave the GFO alone for the time being, and watch carefully for signs of coral problems.

JohnV8r
08/10/2012, 07:53 AM
Jonathan, thanks for that. My nitrate level is back an being immeasurable. My concern is that the amount of hair algae has just exploded. It's not that it is super long, but you can see growth now anywhere from 1-3mm in height on about 40% of my rock stack. Ironically, it's in the areas with good flow.

I typically run about 1-1.5" of GFO ina PhosBan reactor. Would there be a benefit to increasing the amount of GFO to say 3"?

Also, I increased the vodka dosing from .7 ml to 1.0 ml before I read your post. I think I will see how the corals react to that increase and adjust from there since it is still a relatively small daily dose for a net 196 gallons.

Please let me know your thoughts on increasing the amount of GFO. I want to get my hands around the hair algae issue quickly, but safely.

I'm just shocked at how quickly disturbing my sand bed created this problem, particularly after months of great water chemistry from vodka dosing. The irony is that between my Diamond Goby and me regularly blowing detritis off/out of the rock stack with a MaxiJet 900, I thought I had a pretty clean sand bed. Apparently less so than I thought...

Thanks again!

bertoni
08/10/2012, 07:33 PM
I would increase the GFO gradually. :) I'm risk-averse. :) How often are you replacing it? I might add 20% extra each time for a while, and see how that goes.

JohnV8r
08/11/2012, 08:30 AM
I replace my GFO every 60 days. Would I be better off shortening the replacement schedule vs increasing the amount I use?

bertoni
08/12/2012, 04:29 PM
I would replace it every month. After some period of time, it'll be covered with enough bacteria that it won't be useful, and one month is a reasonable guess as to how long that takes.