PDA

View Full Version : Sump/Overflow help

Beefy_Reefy
08/10/2012, 07:45 PM
posted in equipment but I get more help here. So here it is.

I have a 40g breeder display with a 20g long display both going to a 40g breeder sump.

I have a glass holes 700gph (1 1/2") overflow kit with 3/4 return kit on the 40breeder display. I have a nano (1") overflow kit with 1/2 return kit on the 20long.

Which pump would you recommend for this setup? Also I included two bad pictures of how sump might be. Which would work best and what changes would you make? Thanks!

BSmitty22
08/11/2012, 10:34 AM
i just started my 40 about 6 months ago and I use the herbie overflow method with a mag 7 return. depending on how high you tank is will determine the pump you need. I have about 5 feet of flex tube and a check valve to go through so i get somewhere aroung 400 gph with this set up. I would think a mag 7 would work for yours as well. if you use a mag 7(a little noisy) make sure you use flexible tubing and i even put a foam pad under it to reduce noise.

kuya_cesar
08/11/2012, 10:41 AM
I used to have a 40B and now 75. Using (the same) Mag5 for the last 10 years. You need to make sure that your overflow is greater (capacity) than your pump. research on the j-pipe on the return. It will soften the impact on your sump. This will also lessen the noise.