PDA

View Full Version : Upgraded my skimmer and now nitrates are high...looking for advice

juice79
08/11/2012, 08:47 AM
My tank is a 175g, (+ 30g sump filled with live rock) running for about 9 months filled with softies, leathers and some LPS.
Fish Stocklist: 5 tangs all 4"+, 6" Trigger, 2 anthias, 3 dwarf angels, pair of clowns, sixline wrasse and 2 damsels.

Was running an SRO 2000int since day 1 and it always pulled out dark skimmate that stunk terrible. I was also carbon dosing vinegar at a maintenance dose of 60ml/day. Nitrates never went above 5ppm with 2 small feedings per day.

So i had an opportunity to upgrade to the SRO 3000int and figured why not. Spoke to Coralvue and said that with my heavy bioload, and carbon dosing i should be fine and that the 3000 would be a better choice. So i installed the used (no break in necessary) 3000 about 6 weeks ago and it pulls wet skimmate but i could never get it as dark as my old 2000 and it never has a bad smell to it, basically a light tea color. So i tested my nitrates and sure enough they are at 40-50ppm!!!. Tested and verified with 2 different brand kits

I have had nothing die or look different and my water change schedule remains the same at 30g/month. I have upped my vingear dose by 5ml for this week and will continue to do so until i see them drop. I also have no algae issues at all.

Looking for any advice on how to get this skimmer pulling more or should i just start looking for another SRO 2000INT?

Thanks
Erik