PDA

View Full Version : How to control BRS dosing pumps.

4ddiction
08/11/2012, 02:44 PM
I was interested in buying two BRS dosing pumps 1.1ml/m so i can stop dosing manually. I was just curious how to set these pumps up on a timer.

Would i have to buy a digital timer for the two pumps or can i get a fancier reef keeper system, like reef keeper or what not.

Im not quite sure how the reef computers work and their power supplies. With the program they include can i make 2 of the power outlets they provide into timers for the BRS pumps if so that would be awesome. Any feed back would be great!

bnumair
08/11/2012, 05:09 PM
i have never tried them with a digital timer but have done so with apex and reafkeeper elite.
i am sure that it can be done with a digital timer as well but you will have to learn through trial and testing how much time does it take to dose the amount u want in the tank.
once you know how long it takes to dose the quantity you need in the tank note the time it takes.
then all you have to do is to set ur timer to come on at certain time for that set amount of time.
example: if u are dosing alkalinity and it take 3 min to dose the amount u want then set the timer to turn on at 5pm and off at 5:03pm or
even divide it over hours. 5pm on 5:01pm off then 7pm on 7:01pm off and 10pm on 10:01pm off so it doesnt effect ph much.

Chipie
08/11/2012, 05:11 PM
Yes, i have the reefkeeper light and you can control your dosing pumps with that. :)

But you can also do it with just regular timers.

rogerwilco357
08/12/2012, 12:53 AM
tagging along
I just ordered some brs dosers and need to break up 40-50ml through out the night only for ph reasons or can it be dosed lightly throughout the 24 hours to keep it constant? didn't mean to hijack just thought i would ask in case you go the reefkeeper route..

bnumair
08/12/2012, 11:41 AM
tagging along
I just ordered some brs dosers and need to break up 40-50ml through out the night only for ph reasons or can it be dosed lightly throughout the 24 hours to keep it constant? didn't mean to hijack just thought i would ask in case you go the reefkeeper route..

I have done that with RKE. its easy u set it as a multi-timer.
first just turn the power on and experiment and see how long does it take the doser to dose all the fluid. repeat few times to get an average time.
RKE can be set on multi-timer 4 times in 24hrs.
so break that average time into 4.
example: it take 8 min to dose all the fluid but u want it broken over the nite so it doesnt effect ph.
so u set multi-timer.
10pm on for 2 min
12am on for 2 min
2am on for 2 min
4am on for 2 min

Note: i always dosed after 10pm. reason: according to my pH graph. tanks pH is highest 10pm to 6am. so i took advantage of high ph in those timings and dosed sodium bicarbonate for alk. it have a temp lower ph effect. so dose when ph is high.