PDA

View Full Version : Adding live stock from 75g to new 125g can it be done?

FINGAZZ
08/11/2012, 03:27 PM
I have a 75g thats been running for 7-8 months now with corals and fish.im wondering if i can add everything from the 75g to the 125g even tho its new but had live sand in the tank and some live sand and rock in the refugium.would it cause problems?will i loose live stock?or will it stablize the cycling proces going on in my new 125g or speed it up?.

bnumair
08/11/2012, 04:50 PM
if the 125 is a freshly cycled tank then no u cannot transfer a full load in one shot.
only way that can be done i if u move all your live rock from the 75 to 125 along with the livestock making sure the rocks dont get a lot of air exposure.
make sure the 125 is fully cycled first.

FINGAZZ
08/11/2012, 06:46 PM
if the 125 is a freshly cycled tank then no u cannot transfer a full load in one shot.
only way that can be done i if u move all your live rock from the 75 to 125 along with the livestock making sure the rocks dont get a lot of air exposure.
make sure the 125 is fully cycled first.

i guess theres no way around it then.just sit and wait it is.diatoms i think its called are starting to show u all over the 125.i tested it and its not stable yet.everything is medium high on test.well thanks for the info.

divinedragon13
08/11/2012, 06:52 PM
ya if u can move as much of your live rock to new tank when cycled start adding fish slowly.if new tank going where old is have to tear down tank first then it get harder.and it also comes down how many fish and corals you have.

what i had to do is i moved from 125 (the seem broke) to 20gal sump for 6 weeks while i set up 90gal tank when stop getting ammonia i move last my my rock and 3 fish i had left all been fine for me

Gandolfe
08/12/2012, 06:40 AM
I moved everything from a 90 gallon I had for 5 years into a new 125 without a cycle. i used fresh water, fresh sand not live sand and then added over 200 lbs of rock from my 90 and then some of the sand...didn't lose one fish or even have a mini cycle. it took a long time before I had any type of cycle and it was a cyano and hair algae bloom 10 months later due to high PO4 and NO3 issues which I'm working on

FINGAZZ
08/12/2012, 10:48 AM
I moved everything from a 90 gallon I had for 5 years into a new 125 without a cycle. i used fresh water, fresh sand not live sand and then added over 200 lbs of rock from my 90 and then some of the sand...didn't lose one fish or even have a mini cycle. it took a long time before I had any type of cycle and it was a cyano and hair algae bloom 10 months later due to high PO4 and NO3 issues which I'm working on

sounds risky.i have alot of live coral and dont want to loose any of it plus my fish.i think ill just wait till tank goes green and levels show perfect.its going through the cycle now

bnumair
08/12/2012, 11:26 AM

What he did is 100% possible but not 100% fail proof. you can move an established tank and its rocks and sand and live stock to another tank and not see a cycle as long as things are done properly.
but in you case your 125 is already in a cycle you will have to wait that one out.
if your 125 was empty then yes moving everything from ur smaller tank including rocks and sand would have worked with no cycle. but its risky as messing with sand will release nasties in the water causing some problems.

FINGAZZ
08/12/2012, 11:33 AM
What he did is 100% possible but not 100% fail proof. you can move an established tank and its rocks and sand and live stock to another tank and not see a cycle as long as things are done properly.
but in you case your 125 is already in a cycle you will have to wait that one out.
if your 125 was empty then yes moving everything from ur smaller tank including rocks and sand would have worked with no cycle. but its risky as messing with sand will release nasties in the water causing some problems.

yeah thats what i been reading and hearing.my wife is nagging me."you have a bigger tank now put all this stuff in it so i can rmodle the room and put girly stuff in it"i tried explaining it to her but it goes through one ear out the other.if she keeps it up she might end up helping cycle my 125 qucker since shes 5' 2".hmmm come to think about it she would fit perfect with 8" to spare.wonder if it will speed up the cycle.lol