PDA

View Full Version : Help me Diagnose my new Vroliks Wrasse Please

redwingrob40
08/11/2012, 08:04 PM
Hello,

I received a vroliks wrasse from LA on Tuesday this past week, and acclimated the fish to QT per the directions from LA. The fish is vary active and has been eating well the past few days, but yesterday I noticed that he had a raised scale/swollen spot on his side? Form looking at some pics online I think it may be lympho, but wanted to get some second opinions to see if it maybe something different like some sort of bacterial infection. There is a container of sand in the QT which he has used. The tank was also treated with prazipro on Wed and I plan on doing a water change and carbon on Monday. Any help with a diagnosis would be greatly appreciated.

QT tank params are:
SG- 1.026
Temp- 80-81
Amm- 0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0WAwIl6v_YY&feature=plcp

eholceker
08/11/2012, 10:44 PM
Looks like an injury. I would leave as is and it should heal.

redwingrob40
08/12/2012, 09:49 AM
Looks like an injury. I would leave as is and it should heal.

Thanks, for the reply. I really hope that that is all it is.... Really don't want to lose this guy.

redwingrob40
08/12/2012, 04:21 PM
Here are a couple more pics...

redwingrob40
08/13/2012, 12:13 PM
Ok this morning it seems that there is a bit if red in the raised area on the side of the fish. Starting to think that this def may be bacterial? Should I treat with some antibiotics, or wait a few more days and see what happens?

Here is a short vid of what he looks like today, sorry for the poor quality...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KeI1NBjEi0k&feature=plcp

redwingrob40
08/13/2012, 03:37 PM
Ugh this poor fish. It appears now that there is a mass right behind his gill that appears to have that gill swollen shut :sad1: He is only moving the gill on the side of his body that is is opposite the original mass. he is also acting much more lethargic now and laying on the bottom of the QT. I fear that it maybe too late, please anyone do you have any idea what this could be and what I could do to treat???????????? Please help........

redwingrob40
08/14/2012, 01:03 PM
So picked up some Furan 2 and the LFS last night and treated the QT. This morning he is on his side and breathing heavily :( He has not moved since he came out of his sand this morning... Not looking good for this poor guy

b0bab0ey
08/14/2012, 01:23 PM
I just saw your thread, and after looking at the videos/pics I agree with eholceker that this probably stated off as an injury. Just like with humans, sometimes injury heals on it's own and sometimes it develops into an infection with requires antibiotics. It's largely dependent on your water quality, which can be difficult to keep high in a QT environment. Less than perfect water quality can lead to infection of an open wound. Just like a human with a cut swimming in a dirty pool.

IME, Furan-2 is a good antibiotic, but it's active ingredients can also sometimes be a little rough on the fish.

redwingrob40
08/14/2012, 02:55 PM
I just saw your thread, and after looking at the videos/pics I agree with eholceker that this probably stated off as an injury. Just like with humans, sometimes injury heals on it's own and sometimes it develops into an infection with requires antibiotics. It's largely dependent on your water quality, which can be difficult to keep high in a QT environment. Less than perfect water quality can lead to infection of an open wound. Just like a human with a cut swimming in a dirty pool.

IME, Furan-2 is a good antibiotic, but it's active ingredients can also sometimes be a little rough on the fish.

thanks for your response, what you said makes perfect sense. Just wish that there was more I could do, it is hard because I feel like I am trying to do everything I can for him, but it may be a little too late:( He was swimming around fine yesterday morning then by last night he was barley moving. It is sad that things can take a turn for the worse so quickly

b0bab0ey
08/14/2012, 03:23 PM
thanks for your response, what you said makes perfect sense. Just wish that there was more I could do, it is hard because I feel like I am trying to do everything I can for him, but it may be a little too late:( He was swimming around fine yesterday morning then by last night he was barley moving. It is sad that things can take a turn for the worse so quickly

IMO, you're doing everything you can do now by treating with Furan. When & if to use antibiotics when it comes to a cut/injury is tricky business. On one hand, s/w is a great healer just by itself, so if that works you are better off than risk stressing the fish with antibiotics. I have a PBT who sometimes darts into a rock, cutting her face, but less than a week later you can't even tell. On the other hand, you've got to watch closely and if you see the cut/injury getting worse, then IMO it's time to use the antibiotics. You just can't wait too long.....

eholceker
08/14/2012, 03:28 PM
Try keeping the lights off in the tank. It will keep the stress levels down.

b0bab0ey
08/14/2012, 03:37 PM
Try keeping the lights off in the tank. It will keep the stress levels down.

MrTusk is our resident expert on fish & stress... (ducking)

:twitch: ;)

redwingrob40
08/14/2012, 07:02 PM
Thank you all for your help, unfortunately the poor fella passed this evening :(