PDA

View Full Version : Pellet Food Suggestion

TitanTV
08/12/2012, 07:00 AM
I have kept Nacho and Jupiter well fed and always supplemented their diet with Ocean Nutrition Marine Pellet (I have fed both the red and green ones). The largest size they seem to make is medium and my fish are getting too big for that.

Does anyone have a suggestion of some larger sinking pellets I can try?

Thanks

downbeach
08/12/2012, 07:15 AM
I can't say I know what you're feeding, but New Life Spectrum makes a good pelletized food in a variety of sizes.

welsher7
08/12/2012, 09:09 PM
Get some New Life Spectrum Jumbo formula. It is a high quality food and the pellets are around 5mm. If thats not big enough they do make larger pellets.

phish guy
08/12/2012, 10:11 PM
+1 on the New Life Spectrum. ive been using these pellets since day 1 and have not had a single problem with them. great growth and color. ive tried ocean nutrition before and my phosphates began to rise:/

kv2wr1
08/13/2012, 09:11 AM
+2 on the New Life Spectrum pellets. My fish love them.

Irenicus
08/13/2012, 10:07 AM
I echo the Spectrum suggestions; however, I didn't know they went largerr than 5mm... where do they sell those?

humaguy
08/13/2012, 10:52 AM
yes NLS for large fish...they have 3 different sizes...search amazon or google and get the big bucket and save $...my trigs love them!!
btw, how is Nacho doing?

anbosu
08/13/2012, 10:57 AM
The big bucket is a huge savings, especially if you have big fish.

Palting
08/13/2012, 11:08 AM
If you do go for the NLS pellets, get a small sample first to make sure your fish will eat it. I made the mistake of getting a large jar because of all the rave reviews here at RC. My pigs that will eat anything, the tangs, just look at the NLS pellets with a quizzical look. My other fish won't eat it either. It just ends up swirling around in the substrate and getting caught by my filters. I suppose the CUC will eat some of it. So, get a small jar first to make sure your fish will eat it. Don't repeat my mistake.

ScottsTanks
08/13/2012, 11:12 AM
I was going to suggest New Life Spectrum but I see its been thoroughly recommended

Posted from ReefCentral.com App for Android

humaguy
08/13/2012, 11:13 AM
If you do go for the NLS pellets, get a small sample first to make sure your fish will eat it. I made the mistake of getting a large jar because of all the rave reviews here at RC. My pigs that will eat anything, the tangs, just look at the NLS pellets with a quizzical look. My other fish won't eat it either. It just ends up swirling around in the substrate and getting caught by my filters. I suppose the CUC will eat some of it. So, get a small jar first to make sure your fish will eat it. Don't repeat my mistake.

good advice...most of fish love them, including the Titan, but a few, like the Cinereus ignore them...

hanaumabay
08/14/2012, 01:05 AM
spectrum all the way! I think it's a great food for any fish. I currently use spectrum thera plus A, I believe this works very well to get fish acclimated to new environment. I also think it helps ward off against ich. Naturally, for larger fish, the bigger sized pellets will work nicely.

TitanTV
08/14/2012, 08:32 AM
btw, how is Nacho doing?

Thanks for the suggestions and I will try NLS

Nacho is doing great.. He is quite fat and looks very healthy but... Still the slowest growth rate of anything I have ever seen.. I'd say a 1/4 inch a year at best..maybe even slower.. It really makes no sense.. And still no adult coloration. But I am seeing some hints of a possible color change. I bought ole Nacho at about 4 inches and I'd say in close to 4 years he's at rougly 5 1/4 inches.. I love him but I'd never ever get another Titan.

Ole Jupiter (Jewel Damsel)on the other hand is probably close to 6.5 inches and massive (thick).. he started at maybe 2 inches and has grown about 2+ inches a year. He is beginning to rush the glass aggressively when I get too close to the tank. I shutter to think of this dude in a tank with anything but the toughest of triggers.

The Titan still dominates at feeding time but I am worried when Jupiter hits the 8+ inch range and the Titan is still stuck at 5.5 inches I may have trouble..

seanothon
08/14/2012, 09:17 AM
+1 New Life Spectrum Jumbo formula

barbianj
08/15/2012, 10:43 PM
NLS FTW. My Blueline Trigger was determined not to eat them from the start. Every morning, I fed the tank NLS pellets, and no meat until the evening. That meant that the BL would have to skip a meal in the morning. Triggers hate to skip a meal. It took a while, but he finally gave in.

SDguy
08/16/2012, 02:22 PM
My fish go nuts for HBH spirulina pellets. Unfortunately they are a bit large for most of my fish. Might be just the thing for you. They have a nice ingredients list, and are very high in spirulina content. Cheap too :)