PDA

View Full Version : Magnesium chloride

marke
08/12/2012, 07:06 AM
I have been using Brs mag chloride for a while. Was about to buy a 5 gal bucket but with shipping it was expensive. Someone told me to use the hardware ice melting stuff which is much cheaper. The question is quality. This stuff is pellets vs Brs being crystalline. Does it matter? Is it reef safe? Has anyone tried this? Also I see this would be the same question for calcium chloride. Thanks in advance for the help.

HighlandReefer
08/12/2012, 07:31 AM
The ice melts are an industrial grade of chemical with unknown contaminates in it. Each batch can be different. Hobbyists have used the ice melts without problems.

BRS is a pharmaceutical grade chemical which undergoes further refinements to remove contaminates. The additional refinements are what costs you more.

MattyO
08/12/2012, 04:29 PM
Do u know the brand of Magnesium? Most pellets and flake are the same concentration, just evaporated in a different method to get the desired physical form. As Highland said, many people use ice meters (including calcium) but usually add sodium bicarbonate (I believe) to the mag. U could google DIY Magnesium, I think There are even a few YouTube videos.

bertoni
08/12/2012, 04:42 PM
The Mag Flake product should be safe enough as a source for magnesium chloride. It's been tested. Other products might or might not be as suitable.

skunkmere
08/16/2012, 12:10 PM
i bought this from cost a few years ago, works for me and was verified here on the rc chem forum. http://www.amazon.com/Safe-Step-Extreme-Magnesium-Chloride/dp/B002S39C42

Psyops
08/16/2012, 01:34 PM
The ice melts are an industrial grade of chemical with unknown contaminates in it. Each batch can be different. Hobbyists have used the ice melts without problems.

BRS is a pharmaceutical grade chemical which undergoes further refinements to remove contaminates. The additional refinements are what costs you more.

+1

I have used some store bought items in the past with not good results. A lot of RTN issues. Big picture, you invest a lot of money to buy and maintain your corals. Don't take chances on your additives. For whatever it's worth.

Alex