PDA

View Full Version : Plantation, FL - Water advice

Bike2k
08/12/2012, 07:07 PM
I will be setting up my tank here in Plantation, Florida and I was wondering if any of you locals know of any issues with the local water supply that I should look out for when I finally get ready to add water to my tank?

fredanthony
08/12/2012, 07:33 PM
Hey I'm in plantation, new to the hobby about 2 months in now. I've got mine setup and just put some fish in the weekend. I ended up getting an ro/di setup, I tested the water with a TDS meter and read about 40ppm, not horrible but you'd still want to go with ro/di. What type of issues were you referring to?

neptunestender
08/12/2012, 08:17 PM
Always use ro/di because it will save you problems in the long run. It would be best to have your own unit, but filling carboys at a local grocery kiosk is the mext best option.

HTH,
Ed

Bike2k
08/12/2012, 09:22 PM
Fredanthony, I've read posts on forums that some people have had water issues with chemicals in the water system that are not a level high enough to hurt us but will kill the fish.

Neptune, thanks for the help.

fredanthony
08/13/2012, 06:06 AM
All city water has chlorine, I didn't want to risk it so I got myself a ro/di. I've heard some use tap water with chemicals to neutralize chlorine etc but there are other trace elements like copper and such to worry about.

bluewater921
08/13/2012, 06:35 AM
city water is the worst .. i would not even drink it .. there is so much junk in city water you would never drink it again yourself if you only knew .. got to remember fla is run but who waste management hmmm with a name like that makes you really think .. go buy a really nice RODI system .. just found out this weekend that air water and ice has moved out of fla or i would send you there .. if you are questioning the water quality here .. test it .. there is traces of copper , iron , phosphates , fluoride , chlorine ( which is really high traces ) aluminum , zinc , cadmium , lead, and arsenic .. sure have a drink on me .. this is what my daughter tested the water at last year during her high school chemistry project .. i vote for a rodi how about you ??

BonJoey
08/13/2012, 01:17 PM
I'm also in Plantation. I haven't sprung for an ro/di system yet, so I've just been buying water from the store.

I'm not sure if this info helps at all, but this page has a link to the Plantation water quality report PDF (the little blue splatter on the page) http://www.plantation.org/utilities/water-quality.html

Bike2k
08/13/2012, 04:58 PM
Thanks BonJoey thats what i was looking for