PDA

View Full Version : EB8 port 1 not shutting off with dosing pump connected

byronsands
08/13/2012, 09:52 AM
My newest EB8 (at Bus addr 11) which I recently purchased directly from Neptune, has, among other things, 3 BRS dosing pumps plugged in to ports 1-2-3. The dosing pump for at 11-1 for Ca runs continuously ignoring the OFF command. If I unplug the dosing pump and plug it back in, it does appear to remain off until the next ON cycle and then remains ON after executing the OFF command.

Unfortunately I noticed this after realizing that a gallon of Calcium Chloride mixture was being metered into the system in just a couple of days. I saw the Ca reservoir was empty and thought that was strange, but just refilled it. A couple of days later it was empty again… checked the Apex program and it said run 1 min (1.1ml) every half hour… so I got down on the floor and watched and saw that the dosing pump was just free running.

How do I solve this?

I have 2 other EB8's have not noticed "stuck" ports, but maybe I'm just not noticing??

cbenner
08/13/2012, 10:02 AM
I also run BRS dosing pumps. These pumps can only be run on outlets 4 and 8 they are the only relay outlets on the EB8.
The EB4 has 4 relay outlets.

From what I have read all the other outlets are solid state and require a higher voltage appliance to operate correctly.
Hope this helps.

RussM
08/13/2012, 10:08 AM
BRS dosing pumps will not operate reliably on EB8 outlets which use solid-sate switches (called TRIACs). Outlets 1-3, and 5-7 use TRIACs. Dosing pumps and other small devices like some powerheads need to be plugged into outlets 4 or 8 which use a relay (mechanical switch).

Specifically, the outlets will not turn off properly.... exactly what you are experiencing.

There's more info about this in the Unofficial New User Guide (starting on page 17)

RussM
08/13/2012, 10:13 AM
I also run BRS dosing pumps. These pumps can only be run on outlets 4 and 8 they are the only relay outlets on the EB8.
The EB4 has 4 relay outlets.

From what I have read all the other outlets are solid state and require a higher voltage appliance to operate correctly.right idea, wrong electrical term. Voltage is all the same; it's other electrical factors that make the difference. As a general guideline, a device drawing 5 watts or less may not be shut off properly on EB8 outlets 1-3 & 5-7.

RussM
08/13/2012, 10:14 AM
Oops. Double post

byronsands
08/13/2012, 10:44 AM
Thanks for the info guys. I need to go back and reread the entire UNUG I think...

I did have the dosers on an EB4 until recently, probably why I never saw the problem... I stole that EB4, moved it across the fish room to handle the QT and put an EB8 in its place -- crap...

I have another EB4 I can move over there that will then be the 3 dosers and the Barracuda.

So, along the same lines: another EB8 has the GFO & Carbon reactor pumps in 4 & 8, so they should be fine -- however, a BRS 50ml pump is plugged into outlet 1 that is the ATO setup... as far as I know, that has never failed to shut off. I just looked on the BRS site and they dont list the power consumption of the 50ml pump, so I dont know if the meets the triac threshold or not.

btw, I'm sure that the Neptune engineers are hard after it, but it doesn't seem to me to be that difficult to drain the gate -- but if it is, maybe those particular devices (optocouplers?) are not the best solution for the EB8.

fonzer
08/13/2012, 02:30 PM
Do all of the outlets on an EB4 are mechanical relay? Using as an ATO via breakout box with an aqua lifter, would it function properly?

Sorry for the threadjack

byronsands
08/13/2012, 02:47 PM
EB4 has all mechnical relay outputs

byronsands
08/13/2012, 02:52 PM
sorry, didn't fully answer your question:

your device should function as intended on an EB4, the power draw is not an issue with mechanical relays...

mids1999
08/13/2012, 04:14 PM
You could just put a higher load -- small incandescent light bulb perhapse -- on a Triac controlled outlet along with the intended device, and the increased load should make it work properly -- until the bulb burns out in the case of a light bulb.

Other items will work also, the key is the increased current load.

byronsands
08/13/2012, 04:48 PM
You could just put a higher load -- small incandescent light bulb perhapse -- on a Triac controlled outlet along with the intended device, and the increased load should make it work properly -- until the bulb burns out in the case of a light bulb.

Other items will work also, the key is the increased current load.

Of course one reason we pay extra to purchase efficient pumps with low current drain is to hold down power costs while aiding the ecosystem... Adding a useless incandescent lamp merely to cause a product to function correctly seems counter productive.

mids1999
08/15/2012, 01:23 AM
This is true, however, you have to consider Neptune's intention in using Triac's. Triacs typically have a much higher actuation count potential in comparison to manual relays. With the cost of our equipment, it would take quite a while to make up the replacement cost of an EB8 at a max of 4w for one item, considering only a 1w draw item is being used -- more typical would be 1-3w wasted per low current item on a Triac outlet.

Then again with today's energy costs, or multiple outlets with very low load...

There should be some way to recycle this wasted energy into something useful.