PDA

View Full Version : Cracked Glass

Timaaaaaaaay
08/13/2012, 11:59 AM
Right, so first tank, buy a nice little setup off of craigslist get a deal so on so forth. I am almost certain this happened in transport, but there is a nice little crack that developed at the edge of the bottom of my tank. The crack is only about 1 cm long and it is very close to the edge, within the built in overflow part of the glass.

The tank is a glass rimless 50 gallon cube.

Is this patch able with some epoxy and perhaps a sheet of plexy underneath? Or is this a case of needing to get a new piece of glass cut and replacing the whole darned pane?

If I do replace the pane, can I just get a glass person to slice it up and stick it back on there myself without a myriad of jigs and specialty tools?

Chris27
08/13/2012, 02:02 PM
I think you know the right answer bud....the panel or tank will have to be replaced.

A little crack on the bottom panel of a tempered glass tank (yours may not be) could shatter once a little weight is on it. It's just not a good situation to be in.

As for the reassembly, you can put it back on yourself with the help of a buddy and some clamps from the hardware store. it's really as simple as it seems, clean, caulk, stick, pressure and patience.

Timaaaaaaaay
08/13/2012, 02:51 PM
Seems to be the general consensus. I keep posting in various other outlets hoping someone says to me, just stick a solid piece of something under it etc and you will be fine. No such luck.

So, out to find someone to cut me some custom glass. Anyone know anybody in San Diego, CA? I would be on a local forum there, but they banned me for using a proxy while at work =/

chris s
08/14/2012, 08:37 AM
Any glass shop will be able to help you. Just measure the piece carefully. Thickness too. Then call around for the best price. It will probably cost a few dollars extra for them to polish the edges but it's worth it.

As for putting it back together. Some people would just slice off the bottom pane clean up the edge and attach the new one. I'm a little paranoid and if I'm already replacing the bottom I would reseal the whole tank.

Personally I would remove the bottom and carefully remove the fillet seal in all of the corners without damaging the silicone holding the sides together. Clean all the surfaces and mask off for clean seams. Apply silicone to the bottom and place the sides onto it and square things up. You probably won't need any clamps. The weight of the glass should be enough. You don't want to squeeze all of the sealant out. Most tank builders actually put tiny spacers in the seams to keep the glass from squeezing out too much. If you look closely you should see them. Just use some masking tape to keeps the parts from sliding around. Then quickly apply and smooth the sealer to all the inside corners. Doing it this way ensure a continuous seal in all of the inside corners. You have about 15 - 20 minuets before the silicone starts to skin over, you need to work quickly. Then let it cure for a few days before you water test.

I like using RTV 100 series silicone. 103 is black and 108 is clear.
The stuff at HD or lowes usually has mold inhibitors and you can't use it. You are looking for 100% silicone. Most LFS should be able to get you a tube.

I've done several reseals. If you have any questions feel free to ask.