PDA

View Full Version : How "sticky" is chelated copper?

Fishbulb2
08/13/2012, 04:03 PM
Hi all,

I just treated a fish using CopperSafe brand chelated copper and my question now is how to get rid of the copper. I flushed all of the old water but I'm concerned about some of the equipment I used. Specifically I used a 50 watt heater, brine shrimp net, and bucket that I often use for culturing rotifers and copepods. Are these items forever contaminated or am I over reacting. I rinsed everything really well but just wanted to get some opinions.

I also got really worried when transferring the fish back to my reef tank. I poured all of the water out of the quarantine bucket and put the fish in the brine fish net. I then poured a gallon of fresh saltwater over him to remove any residual copper-laden water on him. Is there any real risk of transferring copper into the display tank when relocating fish?

Thanks,
FB

MrTuskfish
08/13/2012, 04:49 PM
Copper will not be absorbed by glass, silicone, hard plastics, etc. This is a myth that won't die. Vinegar is a good cleaner.

Fishbulb2
08/13/2012, 10:16 PM
Thanks MrTuskfish (again). I guess I was overreacting then and that all the equipment should fine to use again.

Thanks again,
FB