PDA

View Full Version : What corals is good for small tank?

chunky9
08/13/2012, 05:59 PM
Hi, Since I found out that is impossible to start a saltwater tank with 5g so I bought another tank which is 20g, I've added about 20gal live rock at my LFS for about $7/gal, about 3in live sand added in the tank, now I want some corals that easy to take care and not required skimmer and special light.
I am thinking to get 2 clowns.
Please give me some name of corals that can live in my tank and good place to purchase them, my local LFS sell them very expensive.

Thank in advance :love2:

Oh, and also please tell me what saltwater test kit I should buy? I found some reviews said that some model outdated...

SaltyReefDog
08/13/2012, 06:06 PM
How long has the tank been set up?

Has it finished its cycle?

What sort of light do you have over the tank?

What type of filtration are you using?

What are you using for water movement in the tank?

Need to know these things before we can give out any suggestions.

chunky9
08/13/2012, 06:14 PM
the tank has been set up about 3 days but I will make sure it finished cycle and water tested before adding corals or fish.
I am not sure about the model of the filter since it came with my tank, light is 28W 48" that came with the tank also.
I have 1 x 1300 GPH Powerhead.

chrisfont23
08/13/2012, 07:05 PM
Try a small mushroom or leather. See how it grows and move on based on your experience

chunky9
08/14/2012, 12:34 AM
so where is the good place to buy corals online?
thanks

Michigan Mike
08/14/2012, 01:07 AM
48"? 4 foot light over a 30" long tank? 28w? Must be a normal output t5...idk
Well you can't really have much without at least a decent light setup. That said the only thing I've grown under t8 lighting is leathers like kenya trees . Nothing else really.
Get a better light like a 2 bulb 24" t5HO light fixture at least and you can have zoas, leathers, mushrooms, Xenia. Maybe a frogspawn or hammer coral.

pnavarro170
08/14/2012, 01:54 AM
mushrooms might work, and how does a long light look on a smaller tank ?