PDA

View Full Version : starphire glass for build out

tommyng79
08/14/2012, 05:52 AM
hey all, looking to build out a tank and need a mix of 1/2" starphire glass and regular clear glass. anyone know where i can get it in south florida for a less expensive price?

SaltyReefDog
08/14/2012, 08:54 AM
Sapphire glass is more expensive than regular glass anywhere you go.

I would look on yellow book to find the local glass/window shops around your area. Most places do not stock sapphire and will have to order it. If you are ordering a decent amount they might give you a discount on it. I would just call around till you find a glass shop that is both reasonably priced and friendly to deal with.

Good luck with the project!:thumbsup:

chris s
08/14/2012, 09:02 AM
Sapphire glass is more expensive than regular glass anywhere you go.

I would look on yellow book to find the local glass/window shops around your area. Most places do not stock sapphire and will have to order it. If you are ordering a decent amount they might give you a discount on it. I would just call around till you find a glass shop that is both reasonably priced and friendly to deal with.

Good luck with the project!:thumbsup:

+1

Also starphire is a brand name from PPG, what you are looking for is low iron glass. You may be getting a higher quote if they are getting actual PPG starphire. You pay extra for the name.

SaltyReefDog
08/14/2012, 09:08 AM
+1

Also starphire is a brand name from PPG, what you are looking for is low iron glass. You may be getting a higher quote if they are getting actual PPG starphire. You pay extra for the name.

Agreed. If they carry another brand of low iron glass besides PPG Sapphire I would not hesitate to use it.

uncleof6
08/14/2012, 11:21 AM
If you want to drive to Dickson, TN, you can pick it up from GlassCages, or have them put it on a truck to Florida (More money.)

Unless you can buy at wholesale or less, @ volume discount, the project ultimately will generally be more expensive than buying a production tank of similar dimensions. Most want to build a rimless tank, and the glass will generally need to be one standard thickness greater than planned on (i.e. planning 12mm, but to be rimless it will need to be 15mm, with a 19mm bottom--it depends on the dimensions) Plus with little or no experience building tanks, there is the real possibility, that you will have to build it more than once, due to low seam quality, improper clamping, or a myriad of other issues that can come up--things that may not show till a year or so down the road.

tommyng79
08/14/2012, 11:12 PM
Thanks all. I'll look around to see what i find. I"ll post pics when I'm done.

Ron Reefman
08/28/2012, 04:38 AM
Unless you can buy at wholesale or less, @ volume discount, the project ultimately will generally be more expensive than buying a production tank of similar dimensions. Most want to build a rimless tank, and the glass will generally need to be one standard thickness greater than planned on (i.e. planning 12mm, but to be rimless it will need to be 15mm, with a 19mm bottom--it depends on the dimensions) Plus with little or no experience building tanks, there is the real possibility, that you will have to build it more than once, due to low seam quality, improper clamping, or a myriad of other issues that can come up--things that may not show till a year or so down the road.

Uncle, you are always such an optimist! :lol2:

StaghornE
08/28/2012, 05:02 AM
There is place on southern blvd. just west of I95 that I get alot of glass from. I built my tank with 1/4" starfire glass. I was able to get it for less from a company I buy my materials from but due to poor quality cuts and the glass being not seemed. I ended up bringing it to the above mentioned place and spending just as much getting those pieces corrected. I would pay a little extra next time and buy it from a reputable glass shop.
Total was around $275 for 3 pieces of starfire 24x24, one piece of regular 24x24 and the 3/8 tempered bottom 24x24.