PDA

View Full Version : Give me an RO/DI Lesson PLEASE!!

kzziboy
08/15/2012, 02:34 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong...
If I have an RO/DI unit that produces ZERO TDS or at worst, 1 TDS...that's pretty damn good right?
My question is, Can there be ANYTHING bad in water that tests at 0 TDS?
For instance, chloramine or chlorine?
Also, I don't know how to figure this, when do I change my carbon filters in my RO/DI unit? If I'm still getting water that's 0 TDS or 1 at worst, are they okay?

Also, VERY IMPORTANT QUESTION TO ME....
What and HOW should I store my RO/DI water? Just a container with a cover?
Do I run a power head? Do I heat it?
Can I use one of those storage bins you buy at Wal-Mart?
It doesn't say anything on it about being safe or UN-safe for food.

What does everyone else use and how do you store your RO/DI water?

Thanks for the help!!!!

bnumair
08/15/2012, 02:43 PM
at 0 u have nothing to worry about but anything above 0 is a chance ur taking. that 1tds if its copper that is a death sentence to a reef over time. i have let my RO/DI tds go upto 2-3 before changing filters without ill effect but it all depends whats passing through.

store ur ro/di in a bin, barrel (food grade) etc and cover open for air exchange. i run mine in a 55 gal drum with no lid and a circulating pump. 24/7

TL1000RSquid
08/15/2012, 03:06 PM
Whats your tap water TDS? TDS before going into the DI stage? Filters should be changed around every 6-12 months depending on what your TDS readings are, if you have high tap tds then you'll be closer to the 6 month mark low tds then longer interval's.

I use Brute garbage cans for storage available at home depot in various sizes from 15 gallons up. They are food safe, if its just plain RODI water you don't need to have a pump going, if its already mixed saltwater run a circulation pump in it, heater if its stored somewhere cool.

kzziboy
08/15/2012, 03:15 PM
TDS is around 180 to 220 depending on the day BEFORE RO/DI. It has been about 6 months...
I currently use one of those totes you can by at Wal Mart to store the water. I usually have a cover over it...Just so my kids don't decide to play in it or dump something in it.

thegrun
08/15/2012, 06:24 PM
1. To steal a section of Randy Farley's article "TDS meters will only detect mobile charged ions. They will not detect any neutral (uncharged) compounds. Such compounds include sugar, alcohol, many organics (including many pesticides and their residues), and unionized forms of silica, ammonia, and carbon dioxide. These meters also do not detect macroscopic particulates, as those are too large to move in the electric fields applied. So if you see "rusty" looking water from iron oxide particulates, that won't be measured. Neither will anything else that makes the water look cloudy. Bacteria and viruses also won't be detected.", so while not common, yes you could have something bad in zero TDS water, although your carbon filters will filter out most of the listed items. How long a carbon filter will last is dependent upon how much water you filter. Most filters will list their effective use in gallons processed. A pressure gauge helps monitor your initial particle filter (I like to use clear housings as you can see when the pre-filter gets dirty).
2. Any sealed food grade container will allow you to store RO/DI water indefinitely, you do not need a heater or water movement as long as the container is sealed. I use a Brute Trash Can to store my water.

Nanofreak79
08/15/2012, 11:54 PM
If you have chloramines in your city water that is running through your RO system you must get a different carbon block, or extra stage to remove them. You should check your city water to see how it is treated.

Below Radar
08/16/2012, 12:09 AM
1. To steal a section of Randy Farley's article "TDS meters will only detect mobile charged ions. They will not detect any neutral (uncharged) compounds. Such compounds include sugar, alcohol, many organics (including many pesticides and their residues), and unionized forms of silica, ammonia, and carbon dioxide. These meters also do not detect macroscopic particulates, as those are too large to move in the electric fields applied. So if you see "rusty" looking water from iron oxide particulates, that won't be measured. Neither will anything else that makes the water look cloudy. Bacteria and viruses also won't be detected.", so while not common, yes you could have something bad in zero TDS water, although your carbon filters will filter out most of the listed items. How long a carbon filter will last is dependent upon how much water you filter. Most filters will list their effective use in gallons processed. A pressure gauge helps monitor your initial particle filter (I like to use clear housings as you can see when the pre-filter gets dirty).
2. Any sealed food grade container will allow you to store RO/DI water indefinitely, you do not need a heater or water movement as long as the container is sealed. I use a Brute Trash Can to store my water.

This is and was a great article.

Spirofucci
08/16/2012, 10:32 AM
When your TDS meter show >1, its time to change the filters. I make mine outside in a 32 gal Brute Rubber Maid barrel. Then store it inside in 5 gal Lowes white colored buckets that have sealable top.

KafudaFish
08/16/2012, 12:55 PM
So you would change at 2?

kevantheman35
08/16/2012, 01:36 PM
Any problem with just using the filter once a week and letting the filter sit unused? Bad for it to dry out or stay wet?

Led Bizkit
08/16/2012, 05:38 PM
Do you have a pressure gauge on the RO? Usually (or at least mine) once the pressure starts dropping you need to change out the sediment filters way faster and more often than the rest but someone with more exp could assist with this but I have a feeling you may be missing step one to replacing filters and helping with keeping your TDS in check.

ruiny
08/17/2012, 10:32 AM
Always keep the rodi water sealed.
If you want to try something, take a small bucket of fresh water and meassure your 0 tds.
Let it sit uncovered for a week and meassure its tds.
The super "clean" water will very quickly adsorbe stuff out of the air.