PDA

View Full Version : Growth rate

luvzz2play
08/15/2012, 03:27 PM
I am setting up my first saltwater tank and am looking at getting some frags so i was just curious as to the growth rate i can expect on these....

LennyD4
08/15/2012, 03:28 PM
What kind of frags?

luvzz2play
08/15/2012, 04:01 PM
haven't gotten that far yet.... i still have to cycle my rocks so i've got a number of weeks yet to figure that out. help and ideas appreciated

Neptune_Fan
08/15/2012, 05:40 PM
Not to be mean but this is the equivalent of the following:

My wife is going to have a baby, how fast is he going to grow?
When is you wife due?
Well we she isn't pregnant yet.

There is no way to tell how fast your corals are going to grow or if they will grow at all for that matter. Now if you are asking if there are some corals that are know to grow faster than others? The answer is Yes, albeit the right conditions.

thegrun
08/15/2012, 05:46 PM
Actually it would be more like asking how fast an animal is going to grow. Is it a horse, rat, elephant, cheetah? Is it going to be housed in a cage, in your house, or your back yard?

LennyD4
08/15/2012, 05:56 PM
>.<

bskiba
08/15/2012, 10:19 PM
some coral will grow fast and some wont because they might not like where they are placed or the chemistry of your tank. but with that being said. Lets say as a very general number .5" to 1" per month . but that is very general. remember hard corals have to build up calcium based skeletons.

Ron Reefman
08/16/2012, 04:56 AM
+1 to all the abvoe replies and I'll toss in this. They won't grow as fast in your new tank as they will when your tank is 6 months old and starting to become mature, or at 1 year when things are really stable. Just because your tank is cycled doesn't mean it's really ready for anything but keeping ammonia and nitrites under control. A lot of new tanks have an algae bloom or maybe two and your corals won't like that at all. Cycle the tank, add some clean up crew and a fish or two. Wait a few weeks and add more fish. Corals won't be really happy until you get past the algae bloom and 3-6 months of break in.