PDA

View Full Version : is it ready for fish?

FINGAZZ
08/15/2012, 05:14 PM
i have a 125g and its been cycling but today i checked levels and everything is perfect.o nitrate,0 nitrite,0 amonia,ph 8.2,so is it ready for fish.theres been a domino damsel in there from day one and he hasnt been affected by anything even the peppermint shrimp and hermit crabs all been well.so im kinda scared to put any of my fish from my established 75g reef tank in it.it still showing the brown stuff on rocks(diatoms) but looks crystal clear and skimmer is skimmingbut not crazy so i gues its kinda clean.

Noobtosalty
08/15/2012, 05:40 PM
how long has it been cycling?

thegrun
08/15/2012, 05:48 PM
Did you ever see ammonia or nitrites above zero? If you did and they have now dropped to zero I would still wait a week before adding livestock. Knowing when you started to cycle the tank would be helpful.

FINGAZZ
08/15/2012, 06:04 PM
how long has it been cycling?

i say about 2 weeks. but i bought the tank established so sand was kept wet but rocks were cleaned with fresh water and sat dry.wet sand sand stood wet for 2 days.i added live rock to the refugium and new water.

FINGAZZ
08/15/2012, 06:06 PM
Did you ever see ammonia or nitrites above zero? If you did and they have now dropped to zero I would still wait a week before adding livestock. Knowing when you started to cycle the tank would be helpful.

everything was high when i tested it a few days ago.now its down to zero so im just wondering if its done or does it drop then jump up during cycle.like i said theres still diatoms on the rocks and some on the sand.

Noobtosalty
08/15/2012, 07:15 PM
sounds like your close to end of the cycle... Off topic... But my dad lives In New Port Richey

FINGAZZ
08/15/2012, 07:19 PM
sounds like your close to end of the cycle... Off topic... But my dad lives In New Port Richey

i hope so.kool.

thegrun
08/15/2012, 07:29 PM
You are likely done with the cycle, but you can have small ammonia spikes during the first week after so you are best to wait a week before adding livestock.

FINGAZZ
08/15/2012, 07:33 PM
You are likely done with the cycle, but you can have small ammonia spikes during the first week after so you are best to wait a week before adding livestock.

yeah im going to check it in a few days again.i want to take out my tangs from my 75g and get them in there new 125g home so they have more room.think ill start with my sail fin tang on fri.if he does good after a week of me puting him in then ill do the rest.

Ron Reefman
08/16/2012, 05:09 AM
And as you add fish you add bio-losd to the tank and the LR bacteria population will need some time to increase and catch up with the increase in bio-load. You are probably OK, just add fish slowly and watch for any new ammonia spikes. Good luck.

bluewater921
08/16/2012, 06:31 AM
it does look like your at the end .. i would try a fish and see where your at ..

FINGAZZ
08/16/2012, 07:07 AM
it does look like your at the end .. i would try a fish and see where your at ..

I had a domino damsel,3 peppermint shrimp,and a few hermit crabs in the tank from day 4 of system running.its been about 2 weeks now the system has been running.everything is still alive no deaths.

bluewater921
08/16/2012, 07:59 AM
fing just take it slow my friend n it will be fine

FINGAZZ
08/16/2012, 08:06 AM
fing just take it slow my friend n it will be fine

i am.just want to get my fish out of that 75g.i want to give them more swimming space.

bluewater921
08/16/2012, 08:17 AM
if you feel safe and your cycle is over i would do a fish every 2 or 3 days . .i would not Rec all at once ..

FINGAZZ
08/16/2012, 08:42 AM
if you feel safe and your cycle is over i would do a fish every 2 or 3 days . .i would not Rec all at once ..

i hear ya.im just scared to do so.im going to get a bi color angel fish and start with that.im trying to go slow as possible trust me.

bluewater921
08/16/2012, 10:08 AM
GL .. keep me posted .. would like to know how it works out for you ..

FINGAZZ
08/16/2012, 10:57 AM
GL .. keep me posted .. would like to know how it works out for you ..

well i thought my tangs trusted me guess i was wrong.lol.i can put my hand in the tank and there fine with that but a big blue net it out of the question.they are way too smart for that.any ideas on how to catch them without moving rocks.lol.

Noobtosalty
08/16/2012, 12:02 PM
try a Tupperware container!!!