PDA

View Full Version : Protein skimmer?

rsummer22
08/15/2012, 11:06 PM
This is my first post, so yay!

My husband and I set up a 16 gal bowfront tank about 2 months ago becase our 14gal Biocube crapped out on us and we needed something similiar in size. Everything in the tank is going well. We have a few things in there and they seem to be doing awesome. Just a head of hammer coral, a kenya tree and a couple feather dusters. We do have 2 clownfish in there and a nassarius snail. All the readings for the tank are good. Salinity is perfect, nitrates are almost 0, calcium is good etc but we are wondering do we need a protein skimmer? And if so whats an appropriate one for a 16 gallon? Any help would be awesome :)

Rachel

Chaotic Reefer4u
08/16/2012, 12:18 AM
Rachel, [welcome] there's alot of new nano skimmer's on the sponsors website's here on board just click on a supplier and type in nano skimmer for your 16g. you can probably get away with not having one but you'll need to keep up on water change's frequently if you and your husband plan on keeping more than two fish, hope this help's...

jgsteven
08/16/2012, 12:45 AM
Hi Rachel,

After trying a number of more expensive nano venturi skimmers, both my tanks are now on super cheap air stone driven ones. They create good skimmate if you change the airstone every month or so and keep them clean.

Given the volume of dark gunk my skimmer pulls from the tank each week, I am glad I have it. You can probably get an inexpensive airstone one for less than $50 that would work just fine on your small tank.

--
jgsteven

Holbert
08/16/2012, 08:07 AM
You can keep up with just water changes on a tank that size.

TL1000RSquid
08/16/2012, 09:10 AM
Weekly water changes you should be able to get by with out one but I'd still consider getting one. I do weekly changes on my 29 gallon and my skimmer still pulls out alot of gunk.

rsummer22
08/16/2012, 12:18 PM
Thanks for all the replies, I really appreciate it. We do about a 20-25% water change on a weekly basis but I still think I would feel more comfortable with a protein skimmer. Will go with one of the cheaper air stone ones, so thanks again for the advice everyone :)