PDA

View Full Version : Need Help RO

AngGuKueh
08/16/2012, 07:47 AM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hey I got a 5 stage RO Water system and my house tap water can boost it 50psi but I can only collect 30 litres per day. I connect the RO System to another 3 stage DI resin and it still produce 30 litres per day. So I disappointed and go buy a new booster pump that can boost the system...The specs is 160LPD working pressure 70psi and max pressure 135psi...End up a day I still receive the same amount...ZZzzz... Does any expert help me out here I really need a faster flow to store more than 500 litres of water per week to change my two big 5 footer tank. Thanks

AngGuKueh
08/16/2012, 08:27 AM
Someone there can help me out what should I do ?

Chris27
08/16/2012, 09:05 AM
Short answer, the more pressure hitting the membrane the better, so if the house is at 50psi, you'll want to use a pump to get closer to 70psi.

Water needs to be forced through the membrane to purify it, if you're not forcing it through well enough, the water will essentially bounce off the membrane and exit through the waste water line.

disc1
08/16/2012, 09:16 AM
What size RO membrane do you have?

AngGuKueh
08/16/2012, 09:54 AM
Short answer, the more pressure hitting the membrane the better, so if the house is at 50psi, you'll want to use a pump to get closer to 70psi.

Water needs to be forced through the membrane to purify it, if you're not forcing it through well enough, the water will essentially bounce off the membrane and exit through the waste water line.

Thx I got more than 150psi tested the same amount water come out LOL but sad also.

What size RO membrane do you have?

It's 1.8″ X 12″

AngGuKueh
08/16/2012, 09:56 AM
The specs is Zero RO System 5 stage
Stage 1: 5 micron Rust & Sediment Filter
Stage 2: Granular Activated Carbon Filter
Stage 3: Carbon Block Filter
Stage 4: ZeRO TFC Membranes are made in USA 100 gallons per day
Stage 5: DI Resin

Connected to Crystal Pro RO System

Stage 1,2 and 3: All DI Resin

Sun Moon Lake Booster Pump

160 Litres Per Day
Working Pressure 70 PSI
Max Pressure 135 PSI

Tested the pump and 5 stage RO System without the Crystal Pro Di Resin but no luck

gldnegle76
08/16/2012, 10:10 AM
Can you measure the water pressure after the prefilters but right before the membrane?

disc1
08/16/2012, 10:29 AM
It's 1.8″ X 12″

No, I mean what flow is it rated for. How many gallons per day is it supposed to produce? Membranes come as 50gpd, 75gpd, 100gpd, etc. etc.

AngGuKueh
08/16/2012, 10:31 AM
Can you measure the water pressure after the prefilters but right before the membrane?

How to do I need pressure gauge to do this ?

No, I mean what flow is it rated for. How many gallons per day is it supposed to produce? Membranes come as 50gpd, 75gpd, 100gpd, etc. etc.

it's 100GPD

AngGuKueh
08/16/2012, 10:46 AM
I tested without the membrane and run through the whole unit it's 25psi

gldnegle76
08/16/2012, 10:51 AM
Something like this:

http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/bulk-reverse-osmosis-filters-systems/reverse-osmosis-accessories/pressure-gauge-1-100-psi-air-filled.html

gldnegle76
08/16/2012, 10:53 AM

Sounds like your booster pump is no dialed up or not working.

AngGuKueh
08/16/2012, 11:15 AM
How to know the membrane is choked or blocked ? I reset everything my current psi is 50 but no water can go through the DI stage...Well I open the canister and seem the wste oulet pipe got more flow

AngGuKueh
08/17/2012, 03:35 AM
Sounds like your booster pump is no dialed up or not working.

with or without the pump the water is still very hard to store 10 litres per day

Palting
08/17/2012, 06:41 AM
Thx I got more than 150psi tested the same amount water come out LOL but sad also.

Sorrry I don't understand, but something needs clarification.

Are you saying that the pump is set at a pressure of 150 psi but the system only has 25 psi? How are you measuring pressure? Where in the system do you have the pressure gauge?

thegrun
08/17/2012, 06:53 AM
Is this a used system? Have you tried replacing the sediment and carbon filters? If it is used and you have already replaced the pre-filters I would suspect the RO membrain is old and plugged and needs to be replaced.

Palting
08/17/2012, 08:57 AM
The specs is Zero RO System 5 stage
Stage 1: 5 micron Rust & Sediment Filter
Stage 2: Granular Activated Carbon Filter
Stage 3: Carbon Block Filter
Stage 4: ZeRO TFC Membranes are made in USA 100 gallons per day
Stage 5: DI Resin

Connected to Crystal Pro RO System

Stage 1,2 and 3: All DI Resin

Sun Moon Lake Booster Pump

160 Litres Per Day
Working Pressure 70 PSI
Max Pressure 135 PSI

Tested the pump and 5 stage RO System without the Crystal Pro Di Resin but no luck

This unit it actually quite interesting, guys. I googled it, and this claims zero "waste" RO water. It is not really zero waste, as the water is recycled back into the tap water system, or back into the unit. Not the usual RODI units we are used to here at RC.

Mike31154
08/17/2012, 09:29 AM
Yea, I thought something didn't add up when he mentioned a 100gpd membrane & a specified output of only 160 Liters per day. On a conventional system he should be producing close to 400 Liters per day. I was going to suggest something amiss with the system flow restrictor, but the zero waste configuration is probably the key to the lower output. Zero waste has it's price I guess, in lower LPD production.

So, lose the zero waste gear & get faster production. Find something useful to do with your wsste water. Also, if your source water is treated with chlorine, you probably only need one carbon filter, the stage 3 carbon block. Ditch the activated granular carbon stage & squeeze another psi or two out of the system. If on the other hand, your source water is treated with chloramine, keep the stage 2 carbon in there. Finally, any idea what your source water TDS is? 3 DI stages seem a little overkill too. Check your TDS at the output of the RO stage & if it's below 5 or so, one DI should do it. Nice to have 3 but makes little sense other than convenience if you have low TDS out of your membrane.